Violent Crime or Behavior
Immediately after an assault has occurred, focus first on providing for the medical and psychological needs of affected employees and/or students.
Other immediate steps include:
- Report the incident to Middlebury College Department of Public Safety at 443-5911 or call 911.
- Secure work areas where the disturbances occurred.
- Account for all employees and others and ensure the physical safety of those remaining in the area as soon as possible.
- Provide for site security, and ensure that no work area is left short-staffed while others assist the victim or help in securing the area.
- Quickly assess the work area, if it was disturbed or damaged during an incident, to determine if it is safe. Provide critical incident debriefing to victims, witnesses, and other affected employees (these conversations must be strictly confidential).
- Provide accurate communication to law enforcement.