Student Employment Authorization

A benefit of your Student (F-1) or Exchange Visitor (J-1) visa status is the eligibility to seek employment, both on- and off-campus. It is relatively easy to start working on campus as you, most likely, will be eligible as soon as you check-in with ISSS. There are three types of employment options for students in F-1 status and two for exchange visitors in J-1 status, which are listed below. Click on the links to learn more about the employment option and the specific details of each.

On-Campus Employment for F-1 students and J-1 exchange visitors

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for students F-1 visa status

Optional Practical Training (OPT) for students F-1 visa status

STEM OPT Extension for F-1 students in certain fields of study

Academic Training (AT) for J-1 exchange visitors








Updated December 2016

International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS)

Service Building - Second Floor
84 South Service Road
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753
P: 802 443-5858
F: 802 443-2063