Generally, U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens who receive any type of income (e.g., salary, stipend, honorarium, scholarship, etc.) are required to file a federal tax return as well as a state tax return.

Tax forms are filed on a yearly basis for the previous calendar year (January 1 to December 31).

In mid-February, the Middlebury Tax Manager’s Office will email all international students and scholars about how to access tax-related forms that they will need to file their tax returns.

Most students and scholars will have a filing obligation regardless of their visa status, length of program, or whether income is earned.

Middlebury Tax Manager

You will receive periodic emails from the tax manager from the Middlebury Tax Office email address ( to complete important tax-related processes. Please follow the instructions to access the documents you need to submit.

The Middlebury Tax Office can assist with tax questions for employees and strives to support students as they navigate the tax filing process. If you have questions about your tax documents, please contact the tax manager.

Can you explain more about income taxes and tax liability?

All international students in a non-resident alien tax status are required to file tax forms with the U.S. federal government by mid-April each year, regardless of whether they earned source income during the prior tax year (January 1-December 31). To file taxes means to submit documents, via mail or electronically, to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), to report income, calculate tax liability, remit payments and/or request refunds. The IRS, a bureau of the U.S. Department of Treasury and federal tax collection agency, helps individuals understand their tax responsibilities while also enforcing the law (i.e. pay your taxes or face penalties).

You can expect to pay taxes on income earned in the U.S., including wages from employment and a portion of your grants/scholarships from Middlebury if you receive financial aid above the direct educational costs (tuition). The amount of tax you owe will depend on the amount of funds you earn/receive and the tax treaty (if any) between your home country and the U.S. Taxes may represent an additional expense of $500, on average, per year. It is your responsibility to file your income tax forms annually and pay your taxes (if applicable) on time.

ISSS works closely with the Tax Office to communicate relevant tax information to our international students. The Tax Office and the ISSS offer tax filing support before taxes are due each year. We contract with Sprintax, a tax preparation company, to provide a software program and resources to assist international students and scholars with filing their tax returns.

Helpful Links

You may find these links helpful in answering your tax-related questions.


updated 1/19/2022

Find the latest travel updates and other information.

News and Events

Meet the team and let us know how we can help.

Contact Us