COVID-19: Essential Information

F-1 Student Visa Information

Most Middlebury College international students hold F-1 student visa status, a nonimmigrant classification which allows you to remain in the U.S. as long as you are in good standing while engaged in a full-time academic program of study. F-1 status also affords the benefits of being able to participate in on-campus employment and, when eligible, apply for approval to take part in off-campus practical training opportunities that are directly related to your major field of study.

To apply for an F-1 student visa at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate, you must obtain a Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility from Middlebury College. To obtain the I-20, please review the I-20 Instructions for academic year students, located in the blue Application Forms box to the right of this page. When you have scans of all required forms ready (financial documentation and passport ID page), you can proceed with submitting the online I-20 Application.

If you are currently studying in the U.S. on an F-1 student visa – or if you are in another status that allows for full-time study, please contact the ISSS staff at or (802) 443-5858 to discuss SEVIS transfers and any concerns you may have.

Hong Kong


International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)

Service Building - Second Floor
14 Old Chapel Road
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753
Phone: 802 443-5858