Middlebury Students

Most Middlebury international students - attending Middlebury College or Middlebury Institute of International Studies or our affiliated programs -  hold F-1 student visa status, a nonimmigrant classification that allows you to remain in the U.S. as long as you are in good standing while engaged in a full-time academic program of study. If you intend to study at Middlebury in F-1 status, our Guide for F-1 Students is a great resource and can be found on our Forms and Resources page. 

F-1 status also affords the benefits of being able to participate in on-campus employment and, when eligible, apply for approval to take part in off-campus practical training opportunities that are directly related to your major field of study.

To apply for an F-1 student visa at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate, you must obtain a Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility from Middlebury College (undergraduate or language school students) or the Middlebury Institute of International Studies (graduate students).  ISSS will reach out to you once it is time to start the I-20 application process.  This usually starts 4-5 months before your program start date, so please watch for an email from isss@middlebury.edu.  Once you receive this email, you will find the applicable forms and instructions located on our Forms and Resources portion of the website. 

If you are currently studying in the U.S. on an F-1 student visa or if you are in another status that allows for full-time study, please contact the ISSS staff at isss@middlebury.edu or (802) 443-5858 to discuss SEVIS transfers and any concerns you may have.

updated 4/28/2022

Find the latest travel updates and other information.

News and Events

Meet the team and let us know how we can help.

Contact Us