Most international students come to Middlebury in F-1 student status or J-1 exchange visitor student status.

While there are many visa categories to consider, there are few that allow a person to study in the U.S. In addition to the information below, the Tax Office has an FAQ for international individuals working and studying in higher education. The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) also prepared this table in July 2018 showing which visa types are eligible to study in the U.S. If you have questions about studying at Middlebury under a visa status that is not mentioned on our website, please contact us at

Trade NAFTA (TN) for Citizens of Canada or Mexico

The nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional (TN) visa is primarily a work visa which allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals, to work in the United States. Individuals coming to Middlebury for any prolonged academic study activity should not enter the U.S. in TN status, though it is allowable to engage in study as long as it is incidental to status. For complete information about TN status, visit the U.S. Department of State site.

B-1/B-2 Visitor (Tourist for Business/Tourist for Pleasure)

Individuals coming to Middlebury for any prolonged academic activity should not enter the U.S. in B-1 or B-2 status. Consult with ISSS about the appropriate category.

The “visitor” visa is a nonimmigrant visa for entering the United States temporarily for business (B-1), pleasure or medical treatment (B-2), or a combination of both (B-1/B-2).

  • Business Visitor Visas (B-1) - For example, if the purpose for your planned travel is to consult with business associates; travel for a scientific, educational, professional or business convention; attend a conference on specific dates; settle an estate; or negotiate a contract, then a business visitor visa (B-1) would be the appropriate type of visa for your travel.
  • Visitor Visas (B-2) - For example, if the purpose of your planned travel is recreational in nature - including tourism, amusement, visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, and activities of a fraternal, social, or service nature - then a visitor visa (B-2) would be the appropriate type of visa for your travel.

Updated on 2/29/2024 by TF

Find the latest travel updates and other information.

News and Events

Meet the team and let us know how we can help.

Contact Us