I-901 SEVIS Fee
The I-901 SEVIS fee for students applying for an F visa is $350 and the fee for exchange visitors applying for a J visa is $220. For more information, visit the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Study in the States website.
What is the I-901 SEVIS Fee?
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s SEVIS I-901 fee is required for each student or exchange visitor issued an initial Form I-20 (F-1 Students) or DS-2019 (J-1 Exchange Visitors). The fee for F-1 students is $350 and the fee for J-1 Exchange Visitors is $220. Proof of fee payment must be presented at your visa interview and/or when you arrive at a U.S. port of entry.
If you are a Canadian or Bermudan citizen, you are required to pay the SEVIS fee and provide proof of payment at the U.S. port of entry even though you do not need to obtain a visa.
For more Information, see: http://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/faq.
Showing Proof of I-901 SEVIS Payment at the Visa Interview and/or the U.S. Port of Entry
You must be able to prove that the fee has been paid when you appear for your visa interview and when you enter the United States. This is done by presenting a receipt that you will print out after completing the form. Visa officers and U.S. port of entry inspectors should be able to verify I-901 SEVIS fee payment electronically 3 business days after payment is processed, but in case of problems, having the printed receipt is the best evidence of fee payment.
A visa will not be issued unless verification of the I-901 SEVIS fee payment is made, and we highly recommend that you pay the I-901 SEVIS fee at least 3 business days prior to your visa interview at the U.S. Consulate.
How to Pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee
Before You Begin:
- Have your recently issued initial Middlebury Form I-20 or DS-2019 in front of you. Ensure your personal information is correct on this document before proceeding - pay close attention to your name and birth date. If this information is not correct, do not continue to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee. Instead, contact ISSS immediately.
- Ensure that your printer is connected and functioning.
- Access the I-901 SEVIS form online at https://www.fmjfee.com
- Follow the step by step instructions provided on the website. Provide all of the requested information. Items with an asterisk (*) are required.
- MasterCard, Visa or American Express debit or credit cards are accepted for I-901 SEVIS fee payment. Follow the online instructions, include the required credit card information, and print out the payment screen to verify your payment. Some Students and Exchange Visitors may not be able to pay via credit card depending on country of citizenship or country of birth. If you do not have access to a credit or debit card, please visit http://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/faq4.htm#_Toc81222043 for more payment options.
- A printed receipt needs to be presented at your visa interview or at the U.S. port of entry as proof of payment. If you do not print your receipt at the time of payment, you can locate your receipt online by entering personal information at https://fmjfee.com/i901fee/index.html.
Payment Tips and Instructions
- Enter all requested information exactly as it appears on your Form I-20 or DS-2019.
- Find your N number (also known as your SEVIS ID number) at the top of your Middlebury College or Middlebury Institute I-20 or DS-2019.
- On the I-20, the School Code appears in the School Information box. On the DS-2019, the Exchange Visitor Program Number appears in Section 2. Input the appropriate code.
Middlebury’s codes are as follows:
- For F-1 Students/I-20s:
- POM214F10034000 for Middlebury College (also used for our Schools)
- SFR214F01212000 for Middlebury Institute (MIIS)
- For J-1 Exchange Visitors (Students, Scholars, Researchers, Professors)/DS-2019s:
- P-1-00068 for Middlebury College (also used for our Schools)
- P-1-03198 for Middlebury Institute
- For Exchange Visitors with a DS-2019: Your Exchange Visitor category appears in Section 4 of your Form DS-2019. Select your Exchange Visitor Category from drop-down menu.
- PRINT your receipt and bring it with you to your visa interview at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy.
For detailed information or alternative methods of paying the I-901 SEVIS fee, visit:
- SEVIS Fee Website: http://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/index.htm
- Study in the States: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/paying-your-i-901-sevis-fee
- SEVIS Fee Frequently Asked Questions: http://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/faq
- E-mail address for SEVIS Fee inquiries (include name and SEVIS ID number in email): fmjfee.SEVIS@ice.dhs.gov
- I-901 Customer Service telephone: (US) 1-703-603-3400
You may also contact the Middlebury ISSS at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated 2/29/2024 by TF