COVID-19: Essential Information

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the credit equivalent for Middlebury courses?

Middlebury College:  The suggested equivalent for one undergraduate course is 3.3 semester hours or 5 quarter hours.  Courses with an associated lab noted on the transcript may be considered the equivalent of 4.0 semester hours.

Middlebury Language Schools (all levels):  The suggested equivalent for one Language School unit is 3 credits (or 4.5 credits in a quarter hour system).

Middlebury School of the Environment: The suggested equivalent for one School of the Environment course unit is 3 semester hours or 4.5 quarter hours.

Middlebury Bread Loaf School of English:  The suggested equivalent for one Bread Loaf School of English course unit is 3 semester hours or 4.5 quarter hours.

Middlebury C.V. Starr Schools Abroad (graduate):  The suggested equivalent for one graduate course unit in a School Abroad is 3 semester hours or 4.5 quarter hours.

Middlebury C.V. Starr Schools Abroad (undergraduate):  Middlebury College considers a semester/academic year abroad equivalent to a semester/academic year in the U.S.  The normal course load for undergraduates is 4 or 5 courses per semester and is equivalent to 16 or 15 semester hours or 20-25 quarter hours.

What is the definition of a credit hour at Middlebury?

All Middlebury courses must meet at least 30 hours in the classroom each semester/term to receive one unit of credit.  Significant additional work is required and may include reading, writing, language drills, laboratories, mandatory discussion sections, etc.  Middlebury College undergraduate courses are each valued at one unit of credit, which is considered the equivalent of 3.3 semester hours; courses with an associated laboratory are considered the equivalent of 4.0 semester hours. 

Courses offered by the Schools, including the Middlebury Language Schools, the Middlebury Bread Loaf School of English, the Middlebury C.V. Starr Schools Abroad, and the Middlebury School of the Environment, are typically valued at one unit of credit and are considered the equivalent of 3.0 semester hours.

What do I need to do to transfer credits taken at another college?

Students may transfer course credits from other U.S. institutions of higher education only at the discretion of Middlebury College. Students should obtain preliminary approval for a course for which they expect transfer credit before enrolling in it, by using our Transfer Credit Application. For more information please review our Transfer Credit Policy.

When is the last day that I can add a class?

The deadline for adding a class is the end of the second week of classes, or the third day of Winter term.

I forgot to drop a class and the deadline has passed, what do I do now?

Students may not drop a course after the deadline. Petitions for exceptions to this rule will be considered by the Administration Committee.

How do I go about auditing a class?

With advance permission of the instructor, a regularly enrolled student may audit other classes. Students must register for audited courses during the normal add period with an add card.

Community members living in the Middlebury area may audit courses only with the permission of the instructor and the dean of curriculum or designee. Community members interested in auditing a course at the College must complete the Community Member Audit Request form and obtain the requisite signatures indicating approval. Current high school students may not audit courses at Middlebury College.

How do I go about changing a class that I registered for to an audit?

Auditors do not earn credit for the course.  If you are interested in audting, ask the instructor of the course you are currently registered for to send email approval to our office to switch your registration to an audit only. Please inlcude student name, student ID number, course subject and number, and CRN.

How many J-term courses do I need to complete?

Students are required to earn Middlebury credits during two winter terms.  A minimum of two and a maximum of four winter term credits may count toward the graduation requirement of 36 credits.


How many course credits can a student earn in Winter Term?

Faculty and students are involved in only one academic credit bearing course during winter term.

Where can I obtain confirmation from the College that I am enrolled as a full-time student?

You can obtain documentation of your current and past enrollment status at the College by logging into BannerWeb ->>Student Records and Registration ->> Enrollment Verification link that will connect directly to your enrollment record at the National Student Clearinghouse where enrollment statuses are reported.  You can select 'current' or 'all' enrollment and can print out the enrollment certificate to submit to your insurance company or any other agency as needed. 

If you do not have a social security number you will not have an enrollment record at the Clearinghouse and will need to request a written confirmation of full time student status from your Student Life Dean Coordinator.

How do I get a certified copy of my diploma and an English Translation?

The Registrar's Office can supply a letter containing a personalized diploma translation, and certification that the degree was earned. Please email with your full name at the time of graduation and graduation information, and the address where the letter should be mailed.

I seem to have misplaced my Middlebury diploma and was hoping to order a duplicate.

The Registrar's Office will issue a replacement diploma, only if one was lost or damaged.


How do I update my personal information [name, address, phone, email]?

If you are a current Middlebury College student, contact your Student Life Dean.

Current Middlebury Language Schools, Bread Loaf, and School of the Environment students should contact their school coordinator. 

Alumni may email or write directly to Records Constituent at, 802.443.3158,  Office of Advancement, 700 Exchange Street 1X, Middlebury, VT 05753.

I was wondering how I go about getting credit for a summer internship, or if Middlebury gives credit for summer internships?

Middlebury does not award credit for summer internships.

Where do I send the Registrar Report for the Common Application?

The Registrar’s Office at Middlebury College does not participate in the Common Application transcript service.  Middlebury students who use the Common Application should direct the request for the Registrar Report to their Stduent Life Dean and should follow the standard transcript ordering process.  Middlebury does not electronically submit transcripts to the Common Application.  Instructions for ordering a transcript can be found on the Registrar’s Office webpage.

Office of the Registrar

Service Building
Middlebury, VT 05753
Phone: 802.443.5770
FAX: 802.443.2030