Activities in this category include (but are not limited to): Yoga, Zumba, Pilates, tai chi, dance, etc.
Any fitness activities (unless specifically part of an academic or athletic program) are subject to College contractual and insurance requirements, so must be sponsored and requested by one of the following groups:
- Work-Life Balance Committee
- Student Activities
- Commons Office
- Language School (during the summer session)
These groups are aware of the College’s contractual and insurance requirements, including:
Certificate of Insurance (Business Services Office)
Middlebury College Contract Management Policy (Controller’s Office)
Middlebury College Field Trip/Activity General Release & Covenant Not to Sue (see Business Services Office / Release Forms)
- Instructors of these activities are considered “vendors” or “contractors” of a service, therefore subject to all of the above requirements.
- College employees are subject to the same requirements, unless the activity is specifically part of their job description.
- Off-campus instructors may not place requests on their own behalf, and the College does not allow “for profit” use of its facilities.
When receiving requests for fitness activities The Department of Event Management will:
- Determine whether the requestor has appropriate sponsorship. (Event requests must come from one of the groups listed above.)
- Determine whether appropriate space is available.
Sponsorship does not guarantee time and space for these activities. With our active curricular and athletic programs, space for non-curricular activities is limited at best. Academic needs and College business take priority over non-curricular fitness activities.