Education Loans

Middlebury College participates exclusively in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan program, in which borrowers obtain loan funds directly from the U.S. Government. A new Direct Loan website has been developed by the Department of Education to streamline the borrower process.  You can visit the site at the following link -

Frequently Asked Questions - Loans

1.  If I have already completed a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note for another school, do I have to complete another one for Middlebury?

As long as you have been continuously enrolled at least half time you will not have to complete a new note.  However, if you had a break in your enrollment for more than one term, please contact our office to determine if you will need to complete a new note.

2.  What will happen to the existing loans that I have borrowed from other lenders?

After graduation you have a choice.  You may either make individual payments to your previous lenders and to the Department of Education for your Direct Loans, or you can consolidate.  You may either consolidate all your loans with your previous lender, or with the Department of Education.  We recommend that you examine all benefits from all programs before making this decision.

3.  Where can I go to consolidate?

You visit the Federal Direct Loan Consolidation website at -

4.  Contacts for the Direct Loan program:  1-800-848-0979

Master Promissory Note




Student Financial Services

Service Building
84 South Service Road
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753
P: 802.443.5158
F: 802.443.2065