Federal Direct Stafford Loans - Graduate Students
Middlebury College participates exclusively in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan program, in which borrowers obtain loan funds directly from the U.S. Government. Stafford loans have a six month grace period from the last day of classes before entering repayment.
- For summer only students - the grace period begins after the last day of classes during the summer term
- For graduate students studying abroad - the grace period begins after the last day of classes during the academic year
- Deferment of your loan is only valid for the weeks of study during your term (either summer of academic year)
Maximum Graduate Level Stafford Loan Eligibility
- Unsubsidized Stafford loan - $20,500
Loss of Subsidized Loan Eligibility for Graduate and Professional Students (Part of the Budget Control Act of 2011)
Effective for loans made for periods of enrollment (loan periods) beginning on or after July 1, 2012, graduate and professional students are no longer eligible to receive Federal Direct Subsidized Loans. The terms and conditions of Direct Subsidized Loans received by any student for loans periods beginning before July 1, 2012, for either graduate or undergraduate study, are not affected by this change.
For important Direct Loan changes please review the 2012-13 Graduate Loan Terms form.
To apply for a Direct Stafford loan go to - Stafford Loan Request Form
Required when applying for a Stafford loan
- 2013-2014 FAFSA form.
- The FAFSA form by itself is NOT an application for a Federal loan.
If you are borrowing a Direct Stafford loan for the first time, you must also complete an E-MPN and Entrance Counseling.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
US citizens and permanent residents applying for Federal Stafford or Grad PLUS loans must submit the 2013-2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This form will be available January 1, 2013. Middlebury's FAFSA code is 003691. Once you've completed the FAFSA, the federal government will send you a Student Aid Report (SAR). Please check all pages for accuracy.