Veteran Benefits at Middlebury College
Middlebury is partnering with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in support of the new Post-9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program. The information provided below will provide you with information regarding the two new benefits, the process and contact information.
Only active duty service performed after September 10, 2001 may be considered for determining eligibility for this new benefit. To be eligible, a service member or veteran must have served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty. However, individuals honorably discharged for a service-connected disability who served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001, may also establish eligibility.
- Effective August 1, 2013, the individual state caps for tuition and fees are removed. For private and foreign schools, VA will pay the claimant's benefit percentage of the in-state actual net cost up to a limit of $19,198.31 per academic year. The Yellow Ribbon Program may still be utilized by domestic institutions to pay for tuition and fee charges above the yearly cap.
- Monthly housing allowance equal to the basic allowance for housing payable to a military E-5 with dependents, in the same area code as your school (paid to you); and
- Yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000 per year (paid to you).
To best estimate your CH33 eligibility please visit - Chapter 33 Benefit Estimator
Yellow Ribbon Program
The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and the VA will match the same amount as the institution.
Veterans should contact the VA directly to determine their eligibility for both programs. Additional information regarding VA Benefits and the Yellow Ribbon Program is available at GI Bill Information or by calling VA Benefits at 1-800-827-1000.
- Students must either be accepted to Middlebury for the 2012-2013 academic year or be a currently enrolled student.
- Students must apply for the benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Students must complete the Yellow Ribbon application form and return it to the Student Financial Services Office.
Please complete the following form and return it to Student Financial Services - Yellow Ribbon Request Form.
- Students receiving need-based financial assistance from Middlebury must keep in mind that VA educational benefits, including the Middlebury Yellow Ribbon Scholarship, will be coordinated with other institutional and federal financial aid funds as part of the "financial aid package".
- Certification of enrollment at Middlebury must be done through the Registrar's Office.
- Payment for the VA's contribution toward tuition and fees will be sent directly to the College.