COVID-19 Updates: Fall Semester

Alcohol Policies

The use of alcohol on campus is strictly regulated by Vermont state law.


The College maintains state liquor licenses for the following venues where alcohol may be served:

  • Atwater Dining Hall, Bread Loaf Inn

Alcohol in unlicensed venues may only be served at events with a Vermont Department of Liquor Control license. Grille Catering, Dining Services, or an approved non-College caterer are required for this service. Bring-your-own-bottle (BYOB) events are not permitted.

Plan ahead! The licensing process typically requires 21 business days.

Students may serve alcohol only at Registered Private Parties or small informal gatherings. See Residential Life, Party Information.

 Outdoor events require appropriate liquor control measures, including adequate barriers (usually fencing) and additional staffing as a condition of licensing. Event Management and/or Dining Services will advise as to what is necessary.



  • It is illegal in the State of Vermont for people under the age of 21 years to possess or drink alcoholic beverages.
  • It is illegal in the State of Vermont to supply or sell alcoholic beverages to anyone under the age of 21 years.
  • Bringing alcohol to a College event, or leaving a College event with alcoholic beverages provided at the event, is prohibited by Vermont state law.


Please visit the following sites to review complete policies:

Business Services, Insurance & Liability Issues, Liquor Liability

Residential Life, Party Information

College Handbook, Drugs and Alcohol Policies

College Handbook, Student Life Alcohol Policies