I am sad to write that Middlebury will not be able to run the School in China programs this fall. China is still not issuing student visas, which makes it impossible for us to run the programs. If you have already been accepted by CET-Taiwan, please feel free to commit to that program. (Middlebury aid will transfer to Taiwan this fall.) I believe that CET needs to receive all commitments before May 20.
If you are able and interested, I would be happy to switch your School in China application from Fall to Spring 2023. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know if this is what you would like me to do. Otherwise (or in the meantime) I will change the status of you application on the Middlebury Schools Abroad portal to “withdrawn-program cancelled”.
Students from an Institution other than Middlebury
If you would like me to roll your application to next spring, please email me at email@example.com to let me know and I will also need a one-line email from your study abroad advisor confirming that a term switch is approved by your home institution. (Until I receive that email from your study abroad advisor, I will move your application status back to “Pending”.)
If you do not already have an application in the Middlebury portal for a back-up program this fall, I will adjust your Banner records to indicate that you will be returning to campus in the fall. If you’ve already registered for courses and room draw, you should be all set here.
If you do have an application to a back-up program this fall (CET-Taiwan or other), I will defer to the status of that application, and keep your Banner status as “on-leave” for study abroad this fall.
If you would like me to roll your application to the School in China to next spring, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’re going to be a senior next spring (either a second-semester senior as a “reg”, or a first-semester senior as a Feb), you will need approval from the Administration Committee to study abroad in the spring. When you receive approval, please send me a copy of your letter, and I’ll attach it to your application.
I know that for some of you neither of these options, Taiwan or rolling your application to next spring, may be an option, and I truly am sorry that the pandemic has interrupted your Chinese studies this way, considering all that you’ve put into it.
If you have any questions about the School in China, please don’t hesitate to contact me at email@example.com.
With best wishes,
Assistant Director of International Programs