I am sad to write that Middlebury will not be able to run the School in Russia programs this fall due to the impact of the war in Ukraine on US-Russian relations and our operations in Russia. If you have already been accepted by another study abroad/away program, please feel free to commit to that program. (Middlebury aid will transfer to approved Russian-speaking externally sponsored programs this fall.)
If you are able and interested, I would be happy to switch your School in Russia application from fall 2022 to spring 2023. Please email me at email@example.com to let me know if you would like me to defer your application and acceptance. Otherwise (or in the meantime) I will move your application status to “Withdrawn: Program Cancelled”. We are not sure whether we’ll be able to run the programs in Russia in the spring 2023 semester either, though we remain hopeful. We plan to make a decision on the spring semester by early September.
Students from an Institution Other than Middlebury
If you would like me to roll your application to next spring, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know. I will also need a short email from your study abroad advisor confirming that a term switch is approved by your home institution.
If you do not already have an application in the Middlebury portal for a back-up program this fall, I will adjust your Banner records to indicate that you will be returning to campus in the fall. This shouldn’t affect your course registration and housing for fall if you’ve already gone through those processes.
If you do have an application to a back-up program this fall, and you’ve already committed to that program, I will keep your Banner status as “on-leave” for study abroad this fall.
If you would like me to roll your application to the School in Russia to next spring, please email me at email@example.com. If you’ll have Senior status next spring, you will need approval from the Administration Committee to study abroad in one of the semesters of your senior year. When you receive approval, please send me a copy of your letter, and I’ll attach it to your application.
I know that for some of you neither of these options, a back-up fall program or rolling your application to next spring, may be an option, and I truly am sorry that you will not have the opportunity to study in Russia.
Assistant Director, International Programs