Propane Gas, Fumes or Vapors
If you detect propane gas, fumes or vapors:
- Clear the area immediately, providing assistance to those with special needs.
- Do not turn on/off light switches.
- Do not use cell phones in areas where there is a concern of fumes or gas vapors.
- Call 911 from any campus phone or cell phone and report the situation. Call Public Safety at 443-5911.
- Provide your location and the location of the odor to the dispatcher.
- Provide as many details as possible to the dispatcher.
If a building or area evacuation is ordered by the emergency responders:
- Leave all ventilation systems operating unless instructed otherwise by emergency responders.
- Leave the area immediately, avoiding the use of elevators unless necessary.
- Identify those persons with special needs, and provide assistance if possible. Otherwise, provide their location to emergency responders.
- Report to your department’s designated gathering point to be accounted for.
Chemical Contact with Skin or Eyes
If chemicals have come in contact with your skin, splashed into your eyes or were ingested:
- Follow instructions listed on the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Follow the procedures set by your department, which may include utilizing an eye-wash or shower station provided in some areas.
- Call Public Safety at 443-5911 for medical assistance.