Middlebury encourages students, staff, faculty, and community to act sustainably whenever possible—and that includes getting from point A to point B. Several useful transportation resources can help.
Tri-Valley Transit (TVT)
Middlebury students, staff, and faculty with their Middlebury ID can ride for free on regularly scheduled TVT buses around town and to the Middlebury College Snow Bowl. You can even bring your bike on board!
TVT also offers commuter buses to Burlington, Rutland, and neighboring towns. Staff and faculty ride commuter buses for free when they pick up a bus sticker from Human Resources. Students must pay for commuter buses.
Check out the map and schedules or call 802-388-1946 or 800-685-RIDE (7433). Make sure to look for Addison County to see transportation options around Middlebury and up to Burlington.
Midd Rides is an evening transportation service available to Middlebury College community members. It operates each night during the academic year when classes are in session.
Sunday–Thursday, 7:30 p.m.–1:30 a.m.
Friday and Saturday, 8:30 p.m.–2:30 a.m.
- Zimride is a ride-sharing network that helps you offer or request rides for commutes, road trips, and popular events. Find others going the same way you are.
- Wheeli connects college students with cars and college student passengers looking for a ride. Students split driving costs, make new friends and reduce their carbon footprint by filling empty car seats.
- Vermont Rideshare offers a free list of names, phone numbers, and schedules of neighbors who want to share a ride to and from their workplaces. They also offer a free emergency ride home program if you participate in carpooling two or more days per week.
If you want to go a little farther than the TVT public transit buses can take you, there are several options:
- Vermont Translines: Daily service from campus. Morning to Albany via Rutland. Evenings to Burlington.
- Dartmouth Coach: Travel from Hanover, N.H., to Boston, Mass.
- Greyhound Lines: Stops throughout Vermont, including Middlebury, Rutland, White River Junction, and Burlington.
- Megabus: Daily service from Burlington to New York, Boston, Montpelier, Amherst, and Hartford.
Amtrak stops in the town of Middlebury, connecting the college directly with New York City, Burlington, and 13 other stops in the state of Vermont. You can find a schedule of train times here. You can sign up for the Amtrak student advantage card for discounts.
Airports within a few hours’ drive can take you anywhere you need to go:
- Burlington International Airport (BTV): Located in Vermont, approximately one-hour drive from Middlebury.
- Albany International Airport (ALB): Located in New York, approximately 2.5-hour drive from Middlebury.
- Manchester-Boston Regional Airport (MHT): Located in New Hampshire, approximately 2.75-hour drive from Middlebury.
- The state of Vermont also runs smaller airports throughout the state, including ones in Rutland and Middlebury.
Middlebury SGA Break Buses
For most recess periods, the Student Government Association offers discounted chartered buses for students traveling to Boston, New York City, the Burlington International Airport, and the Burlington Greyhound Station. Bus schedules and rates are announced during the semester. More information.
Private Taxis and Shuttles
- AA Transportation 802-227-2776 www.taxiinvt.com
24/7 service. $60 flat rate service to/from anywhere in the Burlington area, split the cost between up to 7 passengers. AA Transportation values timeliness and safety. Call for competitive rates to/from Montreal for up to 7 passengers.
- Burlington Airport Taxi: 802-239-1515 www.burlingtonairporttaxivt.com
- Jessica’s Vital Transit: 802-349-8833
Private service or complimentary, customized van-pooling. Service available at almost any hour with 48-hour notice.
- Green Mountain Taxi: http://greenmountaintaxiinvt.com/ (802) 503-3096 Flat rates: Middlebury-Burlington $60, Middlebury-Boston $250
- Route 15 Cab: http://route15cab.com/ (802) 777-6638 Flat rates: Middlebury-Boston $250, Middlebury to Montreal airport $250.
- New England Taxi Airport Transportation: (802) 598-7254 or (802) 777-0392 Friendly and courteous with very competitive rates on minivan taxi and town car services.
- Small City Taxi: Contact Rick Loyer at 877-3395.
- Regional Taxi: Contact James Bonna at 802-233-1530 or firstname.lastname@example.org Competitive rates to/from local stations. Early morning/late night rides.
- Vermont Tour and Charter: 802-734-1293
Offers same-day, round-trip transportation from Middlebury to Burlington for groups of up to 10 passengers.