URO and the Dean for Faculty Development and Research oversee several sources of support for summer research assistants. Applications for funding must be made by the faculty member with whom the student would be working.
All funds have a maximum grant amount of $5,100 except UCRF which is $4,100 (stipend only).
These funds are intended to promote faculty development and support student research opportunities. Therefore, awarding of the funds will be based upon the following criteria:
- How well the project and/or student meet the criteria established for the fund
- Whether the faculty member already has external funding (lower ranking if yes)
- The quality of the proposed project
- Faculty in regular appointments have priority, with untenured faculty considered first
When necessary, a committee of appropriate Department Chairs/Program Directors will help to select the proposal(s) that will receive funding. We will try to complete the process by early April.
Also see Hiring a Summer Research Assistant
How to Apply for Funding
To apply for funding, faculty members should submit:
- the application cover page
a two-page proposal that includes:
title, brief description of the proposed research including the student's tasks and activities, and an itemized budget
- A letter statement of support for the proposed student
Please submit only one application and indicate which fund(s) you wish the proposed student to be considered for.
Please email the application and any additional required documents to the Undergraduate Research Office. The deadline is March 5, 2014.
Student research assistant wages should be figured on a stipend basis at $410 per week for a 40 hour equivalent (with a $10/wk increase to students returning). Please see Hiring a Summer Research Assistant for more information.