Alumni College 2013
August 29 – September 1, Bread Loaf Campus
Take a vacation in Vermont this summer and explore your interests with other alumni, parents, and friends of the College. This year’s Alumni College brings together some of Middlebury’s finest professors to share their knowledge and excitement about five fascinating topics. You might have a hard time deciding which course to take, so it’s reassuring to know that you can’t go wrong: they’re all going to be inspiring!
In addition to stimulating classes and discussions, you'll have time to hike, swim, visit Middlebury, or just sit on the porch and enjoy the view. Meals are taken together in the Bread Loaf dining room, and menus feature fresh, local ingredients. Click here to read a story about last year's Alumni College session.
“Great classes during the day and dinner with friends at night—what's not to like?”
—David Dodge ’69, Middlebury, Vermont
Read more of what previous attendees have to say about the weekend.
Four days, five classes to choose from:
- Discover how World War II forever changed the world in which we live, realizing dreams for some and devastating the hopes of others.
- All aboard our new research vessel, the R/V Folger, to explore the natural and cultural history of Lake Champlain! (Please note that there is a waiting list for this course.)
- Get more out of a night in front of the TV by learning how television as a medium reflects American society—from its beginnings to today’s hit shows.
- Plumb the depths of the sea and of human nature through a discussion of Melville’s rousing Moby-Dick.
- Find out how to read a map like a geographer—and gain a whole new perspective on events and places you thought you knew.