Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT and Winter Term Internships

As a student in F-1 visa status, applying for a Winter Term Internship is a two-step process.

1. First, you must apply for a Winter Term Internship through Career Services in the Center for Careers and Internships (CCI).

2. Once your Winter Term Internship is approved by Career Services, you must please complete the Curricular Practical Training application (you can access this via the link on the right-hand side of the page titled "CPT Application"). You only need to complete this application form if your Winter Term internship is in the United States.

In order to pursue an internship in the U.S. you must receive authorization from International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) to participate in an off-campus internship even if it is an unpaid internship. This authorization is called Curricular Practical Training (CPT).  You will receive a new I-20 with the CPT posted to verify that you are authorized to participate in the internship in the U.S.

To be eligible for CPT, you must have been in the U.S. in F-1 status for an academic year. There is no cost to obtain CPT, and CPT does not count toward your limited amount (12 months) of Optional Practical Training (OPT).

To apply for CPT, You must submit your CPT application to ISSS no later than November 14. You must have your CPT approved prior to beginning your internship.



International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS)

Service Building - Second Floor
84 South Service Road
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753
P: 802 443-5858
F: 802 443-2063