Summer Internships via the Middlebury Institute of International Studies (MIIS) Fieldwork Course
As part of their Middlebury College education, Middlebury undergraduates have an opportunity to enroll in a Middlebury Institute fieldwork course (IPMG8650-M) during summer 2020. As an integral part of an established curriculum, this course provides students with a way to pursue internships in the U.S. that require students to earn academic credit (to participate with organizations that require it, or to qualify for CPT—Curricular Practical Training authorization). The fieldwork course requires approval from the instructor to enroll in the course. There is no additional charge for this course. (Note: Students who successfully complete this course will earn an Institute credit that will appear on the student’s Institute transcript. It is not transferrable to the student’s College transcript.)
To be eligible to enroll in the course, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Students must have completed at least one full academic year at Middlebury College prior to engaging in a summer fieldwork opportunity or internship.
- Students must secure an internship before they will be eligible to apply to enroll in the course.
- The internship must directly relate to the student’s academic major (i.e. field of study).
- The internship must take place within the course dates of the undergraduate section.
- The start date can be on or after Wednesday, May 20, and no later than Monday, August 3.
- The end date must be before or on Friday, September 4.
To enroll in the course, students must complete a College-based approval process through the Center for Careers & Internships (CCI), followed by confirmation from the instructor. Upon enrollment in the course, International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) will approve international students for Curricular Practical Training (CPT), if applicable.
To seek approval for a Summer Internship for Credit via the Middlebury Institute Fieldwork course, you must complete the CCI Fieldwork Application. At the start of the application, you will find instructions regarding additional documents you will need to upload. (Please note: If you are within the Fieldwork Application, you will see web address references that will bring you back to this page, where you can find the related resources and links featured below.)
- CCI Fieldwork Application (Apply at least 2 weeks before your intended start date.)
- Middlebury Institute Fieldwork (IPMG8650-M) Course Listing
- Internship/Fieldwork Offer Letter Guidelines
- Information about Curricular Practical Training (CPT) from ISSS
Once you submit your application, CCI will review your submission to determine whether you qualify for enrollment in the course. For those who qualify, CCI will provide their recommendation for your enrollment in IPMG8650 directly to the Course Instructor. The Course Instructor will register approved students through the Institute Records Office (Registrar), and will provide information about course expectations and timelines directly to the student.
ISSS will be notified, if you are an international student approved for enrollment in the Fieldwork course. For students who qualify, ISSS will authorize Curricular Practical Training (CPT). ISSS will update your SEVIS record with the necessary information and will produce an updated Form I-20, showing the dates of authorization and details about the internship sponsor. The updated I-20 can be used to satisfy I-9 requirements at the organization. Students may only begin the internship on or after the CPT start date on their I-20.
Please contact Cheryl Whitney Lower for more information.