Summer Internships for Credit
Summer Internships via the Middlebury Institute of International Studies (MIIS) Fieldwork Course
As part of their Middlebury College education, Middlebury undergraduates have an opportunity to enroll in a Middlebury Institute fieldwork course (IPMG8650-M) during summer 2023. As an integral part of an established curriculum, this course provides students with a way to pursue internships in the U.S. that require students to earn academic credit (to participate with organizations that require it, or to qualify for CPT—Curricular Practical Training authorization). The fieldwork course requires approval from the instructor to enroll in the course, which is done through the application process outlined below. There is no additional charge for this course. (Note: Students who successfully complete this course will earn an Institute credit that will appear on the student’s Institute transcript. It is not transferrable to the student’s College transcript.)
To enroll in the course, eligible students must complete a College-based approval process through the Center for Careers and Internships (CCI), followed by confirmation from the instructor. Upon enrollment in the course, International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) will approve international students for Curricular Practical Training (CPT), if applicable.
To be eligible to enroll in the course, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Students must have been enrolled at Middlebury for a minimum of a full academic year (fall/winter/spring or spring/fall/winter) prior to engaging in the summer field work course.
- Students who are on a leave of absence during spring 2023 or fall 2023 are not eligible to enroll in the summer fieldwork course.
- Students must enroll for at least one semester (usually fall) at Middlebury after their summer term ends.
- International students may consult the ISSS CPT page for details about qualifying for CPT authorization.
- The internship must directly relate to the student’s academic major (i.e. field of study).
- If you have not yet declared a major, please explain in the Statement of Purpose Prompt* (see below) how the internship is related to your coursework and intended major.
- If a student is ready and eligible to declare, it can be beneficial to do so before you apply for the fieldwork course.
- Students must secure an internship and receive a formal written offer that meets the Internship/Fieldwork Supplemental Letter Guidelines.
- The internship must take place within the course dates of the undergraduate section.
- The start date can be on or after Wednesday, May 24, and no later than Monday, August 7.
- The end date must be before or on Friday, September 1.
Next Steps (for all students):
To seek approval for a Summer Internship for Credit via the Middlebury Institute Fieldwork course, you must complete the CCI Fieldwork Application. At the start of the application, you will find instructions regarding additional documents you will need to upload. (Please note: If you are within the Fieldwork Application, you will see web address references that will bring you back to this page, where you can find the related resources and links featured below.)
- CCI Fieldwork Application (Apply at least 4 weeks before your intended start date.)
- Internship/Fieldwork Supplemental Letter Guidelines
- *Statement of Purpose Prompt: (Please note: if any details are missing the statement will be sent back to you for correcting and you will have to resubmit your complete application.) Write a one-page essay (500 words max.), addressing the following:
- How does the internship connect with your field of study/academic background (list classes) and your career and/or life goals?
- What are your learning objectives (please list at least three)?
- What are your anticipated responsibilities?
- Why do you want to pursue this experience?
- Information about Curricular Practical Training (CPT) from ISSS
- Middlebury Institute Fieldwork (IPMG8650-M) Course Listing (not available until early May)
- March/April and beyond: Students secure internships
- Late April & ongoing: CCI enrolls students in Middlebury Institute Fieldwork course (IPMG-8650-M)
- May & ongoing: ISSS processes CPT
- May 24-Sept. 1: Fieldwork Course reflection assignments due
Once you submit your application, CCI will review your submission to determine whether you qualify for enrollment in the course. For those who qualify, CCI will provide their recommendation for your enrollment in IPMG8650-M. The Course Instructor will register approved students through the Institute Records Office (Registrar), and will provide information about course expectations and timelines directly to the student.
ISSS will be notified, if you are an international student approved for enrollment in the Fieldwork course. For students who qualify, ISSS will authorize Curricular Practical Training (CPT). ISSS will update your SEVIS record with the necessary information and will produce an updated Form I-20, showing the dates of authorization and details about the internship sponsor. The updated I-20 can be used to satisfy I-9 requirements at the organization. Students may only begin the internship on or after the CPT start date on their I-20.
International students with questions about this process should contact Tracy Himmel Isham.
For general information, please contact Cheryl Whitney Lower.