Winter Term Off-Campus Information
If you do not need the credit, then you must register for the Winter Term opt-out course.
Internships: contact Education in Action (www.middlebury.edu/academics/resources/cso).
Independent Projects: If the project is unrelated to your major, apply to the Curriculum Committee by contacting Janis Audet from the Office of the Dean of Faculty (email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: x2207). Independent work proposed through a student's major must be approved by the chair or director of that department or program (these proposals do not need to be submitted to the Curriculum Committee).
Short-Term Study Abroad Programs: contact International Programs
for more information and application information. See additional information below.
GENERAL GUIDELINES for credit for Winter Term study abroad programs:
- The program/course must meet a minimum of 4 complete weeks (regardless of the total number of meeting hours) to earn a maximum of one unit of Middlebury credit. The program/course must meet for at least the same number of hours, over the four weeks, as an equivalent Middlebury course. Programs/courses that meet more than 36 hours will NOT receive additional credit.
- Only a program/course that meets the definition of “liberal arts,” and receives a grade of C- or better, may be applied to the Middlebury College degree.
- Programs/courses graded on a pass/fail or audit basis are NOT transferable.
- The grade earned will appear on your Middlebury transcript and will be counted in your GPA.
- The transcript reflecting work completed must be from an accredited institution of higher education.
Students must apply for pre-approval for J-term study abroad programs: