Please be kind to the staff at the recycling center,
the more you sort, the less we have to!
Faculty, Staff and Students are expected to empty and sort their own trash and recycling at the Centralized Recycling Stations located throughout every campus building. These stations are placed with consideration to building use and fire code. Each station has at least one trash, one paper and one glass, metal and plastic bin. We adjust the number of bins at each station depending on the needs of the building.
4 Ingredients to Successful Recycling
2. Your blue recycle bin in your room or work area.
- Put paper, cardboard, boxboard (i.e. cereal boxes), glass, plastic (#1-7), empty aerosol cans, aluminum and tin in the blue bin in your room/office. All recyclables can be combined in your blue bin, but sort them out when you empty it!
3. Your gray trash bin
- Put wrappers, Styrofoam, food waste (unless there is a compost bin in your building), and other non-recyclable material in your gray bin.
4. Your building's recycling station
- Take your blue and gray bins to the recycling station in your dorm/office when they are full.
- Put the contents of the gray bin into the large gray receptacle labeled "Trash."
- Sort recyclable items from your blue bin into the correct large receptacles. Use the signs to guide you.
Tips to Minimize Waste
- Ask yourself: "Do I need this?"
- Try to purchase products that:
- Are designed to last a long time (long warranties and repair service options when appropriate)
- Have replaceable parts and are easy to repair
- Can be easily reused or recycled
- Are made from recycled materials
- Do not contain toxic materials
- Have minimal packaging, if any