The Sustainability Solutions Lab (SSL) aims to provide students with an experience of professional development while working on sustainability-oriented projects throughout the Middlebury College campus and greater Middlebury community!
What is the SSL?
The Sustainability Solutions Lab was founded in January 2017 and has connected over 130 paid student interns of varied backgrounds and majors with more than 40 environmental initiatives and projects around the Middlebury campus. Students collaborate with faculty and staff through the school year and summer to plan and implement innovative solutions to challenges affecting our institution’s sustainability commitment.
Interested in a paid internship with the SSL? Applications open each spring, with occasional positions filled at the beginning of each semester.
Keep an eye on the Franklin Environmental Center at Hillcrest newsletter/Instagram for deadlines, or contact Tara Federoff, Sustainability Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
- Sustainability Abroad
- The Living Building Challenge
- Knoll Collaborations
- Food Preservations
- Avian & Lepidoptera Survey
- Campus Tree Map
- Vermont Climate Observatory
- Consumption & Waste Management
2022 Summer and Fall
- Communications: Newsletter, weekly posts.
- GHGI Codebook: Greenhouse Gas Inventory Codebook at Middlebury College.
- Sustainability Abroad
- The Living Building Challenge: LBC update.
- Urban Building Energy Modeling: Modeling and surveying home energy consumption in Addison County.
- STARS: Meatless Monday, sustainability assessment with Dining Services and Facilities.
- Tackling Food Security
- Special Project: ArcGIS map, rewilding campus lawns, Planet Forward.
- Communications: Weekly posts and FAQs.
- Sustainability Abroad: Schools Abroad surveys, website re-do, pre-departure materials.
- Energy2028+Admissions: Case study for Admissions.
- The Living Building Challenge: Presentation slides.
- Sustainability Consultancy: Snowbowl/Rikert, MIIS IEM, Admissions Office.
- Global Partnerships for Sustainability: Wildlife Conservation Society Chile, Lake Baikal Ecocenter in Irkutsk, Russia.
- Athletics (Green Panther Challenge): Green Panther Program.
- The Living Building Challenge: A Living Building Residence Hall.
- Waste + Energy: Energy feedback, Townhouse energy project, local food map, media series.
- Communications: Website audit, site map.
- Waste Team: Plastics use survey, Earth Day tabling, flyers.
- Transportation/Justice & Outreach: Bike clinic, go/bikemap, tips for new bikers.
- Fun Garden: Heritage Garden, Four Sisters Gardens.
- Sustainability Consultancy: Training, resources, and guidance.
- Waste Team
- Communications: Website audits.
- Continuous Energy Improvements: Campaign for Bihall laboratories.
- Energy2028: Weekly posts.
- SDGs: Midd SDGs Challenge.
- Sustainability Consultancy: Debate Society, Center for Career and Internships.
- Waste Team: Instagram posts, posters about how to dispose of waste.
- Communications: Weekly posts, website audits, How To Reduce Your Carbon Print.
- SDGs: SDG campaign in Irkutsk, Russia.
- Energy2028 Communications: go/learnenergy2028, Creative Climate Art Contest.
- Hangzhou-TNCC: The Nature Conservancy of China, Restorative Oyster Aquaculture.
- Planet Forward stories, Energy2028 video.
- Waste Team: ReThrift, Repair Cafe, DIY Halloween Custome.
- E2028 Outreach: Biomass tour, weekly conversations with students.
- Townhouse: Townhouse Energy Monitoring Project.
- GHGI: Middlebury College Annual Greenhouse Gas Inventory (FY18).
- Energy System Animations: Biomass, RNG, Electricity.
- Recycling and WRF Waste Data
- Fume Hoods Energy Conservation
- Carbon Pricing Research
- Waste Team: Repair Cafe, posters.
- Transportation: MiddKidd Challenge outreach, ACTR outreach.
- Energy 2026: Posters for proper dorm-room heating, feedback on the townhouse energy project.
- Energy 2026: Efficient, Renewable, Responsible.
- Beyond Neutrality: Final presentation.