Students and Supervisors: please read the Summer Student Employee Handbook for details regarding summer employment for Middlebury College students. Important information is also provided below.
Note: 2017 graduates can NOT work in a student position and may NOT live in student housing. Please visit the staff job opportunities page on the college website for available staff positions. For information on hiring a recent graduate please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
* Summer student employee housing will be in Battell. All students should anticipate having a roommate.
* Summer Employment is from May 24 through September 10.
* Charges for summer housing and meals will be assessed to the student's account. It is expected that students make payments bi-weekly with their student employment earnings.
* It is strongly recommended that all work begin on a Monday and end on a Friday as charges will be billed in weekly increments with weeks beginning Sunday and ending Saturday.
* Students that do NOT have a spring 2017 housing assignment will be allowed to move on campus no earlier than 9am on Tuesday, May 30.
* Only students who have a fall 2017 housing assignment will be allowed to live on campus past Wednesday, August 23.
* Students that are requesting housing anytime between August 24 and September 9, must have secured a job that has been given an approved extension from SEO and must be working the minimum 30 hours per week for each week, until classes begin. No students will be allowed to move on campus between Tuesday, August 15 and Wednesday, August 24.
* Students will receive a confirmation email regarding their summer employment dates on Friday, April 28. Any changes or corrections must be submitted to SEO by noon on Monday, May 1. After this period changes will only be considered by formal appeal and only for unanticipated hardships. Changes will not be considered retroactively.
Required Agreement Form
Every student hired to work for Middlebury College between May 24 and September 10 must complete and submit a 2017 Summer Student Employment & Housing Agreement to the Student Employment Office by April 19, 2017. Click on the "Summer Forms" link to the left of the page to access the Agreement form. This form is required for any and all summer jobs regardless of whether the student requests on campus housing or not and must be completed by the student and, where applicable, the supervisor(s)/faculty mentor(s) hiring the student. Please allow time for all parties to complete the form.
Find a Job
Click on the "Find A Job" link to the left of the page to search for on campus summer opportunities (additional jobs will appear as they become available).
Students are eligible for on campus housing only if they work at least 30 hours per week and are enrolled Middlebury students or are a student from another undergraduate college here for the purpose of summer research and being paid by Middlebury. Students are only eligible for housing during the time they are working and they must be employed the entire time they are on campus.
Housing may begin no earlier than one day prior to beginning work and may end no later than one day after completing work.
The earliest students can move into summer housing is 9 am on Tuesday, May 30. Dorm keys can be picked up from Public Safety's Office of Access and Parking Services during open office hours.
All summer jobs must conclude by August 23, the end of summer housing. Summer job extensions/early fall arrivals previously approved by the Student Employment Office are the only exceptions. Supervisors: see the Job Extension/Early Arrival Request Form link on the left side of the page.
Room Rates and Meal Plan Costs for Summer Student Employees living on campus
On campus housing is $80 per week and covers housing and activities fees. Students will be assigned a room based upon availability. The summer meal plan is $70 per week from June 12th through brunch on August 19th. All student employees housed on campus during this period will be billed for the meal plan. The plan includes breakfast, lunch and dinner Monday through Friday and brunch and dinner on the weekend. All meals will be served in Proctor Redfield. Students living on campus when a meal plan is not offered (before and after Language Schools) are expected to supply their own meals. Students that will be off campus during the term of their employment at any point when the meal plan is available, or fasting for religious purposes, for one week or more, may request a Meal Plan Reduction. Students that are registered with Student Accessibility Services as a student with a disability on campus may request a Meal Plan Reduction as an accommodation. The Meal Plan Reduction Request Form is due by April 19.
Student accounts will be assessed for contracted room and board by the end of May. Payment will be due in full by August 15th. Expectation is that payments are made bi-weekly with student employment earnings through BannerWeb or the Cashier's Office. Please note that your spring student account balance must be resolved unless prior arrangements have been made with the Student Financial Services Office.
Living Off Campus
Summer student employees living off-campus must also submit a Summer Student Employment & Housing Agreement. Simply choose “No” to the question "Are you requesting on campus housing for the employment period mentioned above or provided on the SRA?". Students living off campus may NOT participate in the meal plan unless the student makes special arrangements directly with dining services. Students that choose to live off campus for the summer are required to depart from campus by the posted Residential Life deadlines and may not return to campus or move into fall term housing until September 9, even with an approved job extension.
Faculty members with approved mentored faculty-student research positions must complete a Summer Research Assistant (SRA) form. This form confirms that the research meets the criteria outlined in the Policies and Procedures for Summer Research Assistants. The form is completed online at the Undergraduate Research Office Website and is due by April 19. From the URO website, click "Summer Research Assistant (SRA) form" under URO Funding and Forms, or type go/SRA in your address bar in your web browser.