Students and Supervisors: please read the Summer Student Employee Handbook for important details regarding summer employment for Middlebury College students. Some helpful information is also provided below.
Note: 2015 graduates can NOT work in a student position and may NOT live in student housing. Please visit the staff job opportunities page on the college website for available staff positions. For information on hiring a recent graduate please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
* Summer Employment is from May 20th through September 13th.
* Charges for summer housing will be assessed to the student's account.
* It is strongly recommended that all work begin on a Monday and end on a Friday as charges will be billed in weekly increments with weeks beginning Sunday and ending Saturday.
* Students that do NOT have a spring 2015 housing assignment will be allowed to move on campus no earlier than Tuesday, May 26th.
* Only students who have a fall 2015 housing assignment will be allowed to live on campus past Saturday, August 15.
* Students that are requesting housing anytime between August 15 and September 14, must have secured a job that has been given an approved extension from SEO and must be working the minimum 30 hours per week until classes begin. No students will be allowed to move on campus between Tuesday, August 11th and Friday, August 28th.
* Students will receive a confirmation email regarding their summer employment dates on Friday, May 1st. Any changes must be submitted by noon on Monday, May 4th. After this period changes will only be considered by formal appeal.
Required Agreement Form
Every student hired to work for Middlebury College during the summer (May 20 through September 13) must complete and submit a 2015 Summer Student Employment & Housing Agreement to the Student Employment Office by April 17, 2015. Click on the "Summer Forms" link to the left of the page to access the Agreement form. This form is required for all summer jobs regardless of whether the student requests on campus housing or not and must be completed by the student and the supervisor(s)/faculty mentor(s) hiring the student. Please allow time for all parties to complete the form.
Find a Job
Click on the "Find A Job" link to the left of the page to search for on campus summer opportunities (additional jobs will appear as they become available).
Students are eligible for on campus housing only if they work at least 30 hours per week and are enrolled Middlebury students or are a student from another undergraduate college here for the purpose of summer research and being paid by Middlebury. Students are only eligible for housing during the time they are working and they must be employed the entire time they are on campus.
Housing may begin no earlier than one day prior to beginning work and may end no later than one day after completing work.
The earliest students can move into summer housing is May 26. Dorm keys can be picked up from Public Safety after 8:00am.
All summer jobs must conclude by August 15th, the end of Language Schools. Job extensions/early arrivals previously approved by the Student Employment Office are the only exceptions. Supervisors: see the Job Extension/Early Arrival Request form link on the left side of the page.
Room Rates and Meal Plan Costs for Summer Student Employees living on campus
On campus housing is $55 per week and covers housing and activities fees. Students will be assigned a room based upon availability. The summer meal plan is $60 per week from May 26 through August 15. All student employees housed on campus will be billed for the meal plan. The plan includes breakfast, lunch and dinner Monday through Friday and brunch and dinner on the weekend. All meals will be served in Proctor Redfield. Students living on campus when a meal plan is not offered (after Language School commencement) are expected to supply their own meals. Students that will be off campus during the term of their employment at any point when the meal plan is available, for one week or more, may request a Meal Plan Reduction. The Meal Plan Reduction Form can be found under Summer Forms and is due by noon on May 4th.
Student accounts will be assessed for contracted room and board by the end of May. Payment will be due in full by August 15th.
Living Off Campus
Summer student employees living off-campus must also submit a Summer Student Employment & Housing Agreement. Simply choose “No” to the question "Are you requesting on campus housing and meals for the above mentioned employment periods?". Students living off campus may NOT participate in the meal plan unless the student makes special arrangements directly with dining services. Students that choose to live off campus for the summer are required to depart from campus by the posted Residential Life deadlines and may not return to campus or move into fall term housing until September 14th, even with an approved job extension.
All approved mentored faculty-student research positions will be paid on a stipend basis. In order to pay a research student a stipend, the hiring faculty must complete a Summer Research Assistant (SRA) form. This form confirms that the research meets the criteria outlined in the Policies and Procedures for Summer Research Assistants. The form is completed online at the Undergraduate Research Office Website and is due by April 17th. Click "Summer Research Assistant (SRA) form" in the URO Funding’s and Forms List, or go/SRA.