Employing a MiddKid

Below are some things you’ll need to know when employing a student.  If you need further clarification on any of the points or have other questions, please contact SEO at x5377.  You can also find a lot of information and answers to your questions on other areas of the student employment website.  Click on the different areas to the left to learn more.

Posting your position on the Web

Open student positions are posted through PeopleAdmin.

Instructions can be found on this website.  Click on Posting A Job on the left side of the page.

If your position is not currently listed on the job description page, please contact our office.  We will find the most recent description we have on file and ask you to review and make any necessary revisions.  Then we’ll place your description on the web for you to post.

New student positions can be requested using the “New Student Job Request” form in the supervisor tool box.


  • All Student employees are limited to working no more than 20 hours per week in on campus jobs during the academic year.  The only exception is when there is a full week when school is not in session.  Specifically, February recess, Spring recess, and full weeks of December recess.  During these time periods only, students can work up to 40 hours per week.
  • The Fall Vacancies will be viewable on the Web on Sunday, September 2. (YES, one week BEFORE classes begin).
  • Students receiving financial aid can apply beginning September 2.  All other students can begin applying on Sunday, September 30th (see First Two Weeks of Class below).

Note: If your position will be filled by a returning student employee to that position, there is no need for you to post the position.

Employment Card

Student employees MUST complete an I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form and and W-4 tax withholding form in order to work. Once these forms have been completed the student will receive a blue employment card indicating that they are eligible to work for the College. Students that have NOT received their blue card CANNOT work or be paid until their employment forms are completed.  

First Two Weeks of Class

The week before classes begin and during the first few weeks of school, students that receive financial aid will have the chance to apply for posted jobs on campus.  All others must wait to apply until September 30th.  The intent is to assist students receiving work study to obtain a job that best meets their needs.  If you are rehiring a student that has worked for you previously, or for research purposes, financial aid status is not relevant.

Payroll Authorization Forms

A payroll authorization form ("green card") needs to be completed for all students hired to work during the academic year.  Even if the student worked last year – or over the summer – a green card still needs to be completed and sent to our office.  Please keep in mind that it typically takes 2-3 business days to process green cards.  These cards are available at the Student Employment Office. See Summer Employment on the left for details on what is needed for students hired to work during the summer.

Approving Time Sheets

Click on the pdf below for instructions on approving student time sheets.

<p>Instructions for BannerWeb Time Approvers</p>Approving Time in BannerWeb in 6 Clicks

Note:  Research has shown that students that work 10 to 12 hours per week have the highest rate of academic achievement.*  We recommend that first year students start with just a few hours per week until a balance is found between employment and academic demands.

*Van de Water, G.  The Effect of Part-Time Work on Academic Performance and Progress: An Examination of the Washington State Work-study Program; Astin, A.W. Student Involvement: A Developmental Theory for Higher Education.