Hiring a Student
This process will keep the SEO office appraised of your process to ensure that filled postings are removed from the student jobs web site. In addition, one of the most common pieces of feedback that students offer us is that they never hear back regarding applications that they have submitted. PeopleAdmin utilizes applicant statuses to automatically send the appropriate applicant notification emails. Please complete the following set of steps each time that you hire a candidate. (Please note that you can hire multiple students under one posting.)
- In PA navigate to your applicant records.
- Click on the applicant to whom you wish to make an offer. Click on the orange button to “Take Action on Job Application” and select “Recommend for Hire”.
- You will now view an option to “Start Hiring Proposal”. Click on the link to begin the proposal.
- Confirm that the correct applicant and posting are selected by clicking the “Start Hiring Proposal” button.
- On the "Update Posting Status to Closed" line select the applicable status to indicate whether SEO should close the posting or if it should remain open (if you plan to hire more students into that position). Please note this does not actually close the posting or notify SEO that the posting should be closed. You will need to complete the below steps before this can be done.
- Click the orange Next button.
- On the Summary page click the "Take Action on Hiring Proposal" button and select "Approved (move to Student Employment)".
- You will receive an email notification when the hiring proposal has been approved by Student Employment. To complete the process and close out your posting you will just need to confirm that you have assigned a workflow state for all of your candidates. To do so:
- Select the applicants tab. The only applicant who should display is the new hire (with a workflow state of “Hired”). If you see any other candidates on this page you need to assign a workflow state for them. To do so: click on the applicant and click the orange button “Take Action on Job Application”. Select the appropriate settings for this applicant. Valid selection options at this point are listed below.
- Complete a Payroll Authorization Form. A payroll authorization form ("green card") needs to be completed for all students hired to work during the academic year. Even if the student worked last year – or over the summer – a green card still needs to be completed and sent to our office. Please keep in mind that it can take 2-3 business days to process green cards. These cards are available at the Student Employment Office. See Summer Employment on the left for details on what is needed for students hired to work during the summer.
Once you have assigned a status for each of your other applicants, please notify student employment that the posting is ready to be closed by sending an email message to email@example.com. Only then can we close your posting.
Workflow state options and the resulting communications to the student:
- Not Interviewed, Not Hired – applicant will receive an immediate email
- Interviewed, Not Hired - applicant will receive an email when the position is moved to filled by SEO.
- Not Hired, No Email – applicant will not receive an email. Use this option if you personally notify candidates and do NOT want them to also receive an automated email message.