COVID-19 Updates: Fall Semester

Reporting Procedures

What is an emergency?

An emergency is any immediate threat to life and/or property that requires immediate response from police, fire, or emergency medical services. Some examples: crimes in progress, fire, or a serious injury or illness.

When you need an immediate response, dial 911.

How should I report an emergency?

  • Stay on the line with the dispatcher.
  • Provide the address, the location, and a description of the emergency.
  • Provide the phone number at your location.
  • Describe the incident thoroughly so the dispatcher can send you the appropriate resources.
  • If you accidently misdial, do not hang up.  Stay on the line and tell the dispatcher you misdialed.  Hanging up causes emergency personnel to respond and investigate to ensure there is not an emergency.

Middlebury College Campus, Middlebury VT

Emergencies: Dial 911
Ambulance, Police, or Fire Department: 911
Middlebury Police: 388-3191
Public Safety Emergency Line: (802) 443-5911
Public Safety Business Line: (802) 443-5133

For catastrophic emergencies, including medical, fire, smoke, crime, or the carbon monoxide alarm, first call 911 and then the Department of Public Safety.

Bread Loaf Campus, Ripton, VT

Ambulance, Police, or Fire Department: 911

Bread Loaf Campus:  911

The Bread Loaf Campus address: 4229 Rte. 125, Ripton, VT

Front Desk, Bread Loaf Inn: ext. 2700 (802) 443-2700

Resident Caretaker: (802) 443-7945

Department of Public Safety, Middlebury College campus: ext. 5911 (802) 443-5911

AED (automated external defibrillator): Treman Building, 4290 Route 125, Ripton, VT

Porter Medical Center, Middlebury, VT:  (802) 388-4701

Parton Center for Health and Wellness, Middlebury College campus: ext. 5135 (802) 443-5135

For catastrophic emergencies, including medical, fire, smoke, crime, or the carbon monoxide alarm, first call 911 and then the front desk. After hours, all calls to the front desk will be routed to the main campus’ Department of Public Safety.

On the Bread Loaf campus, all telephones have emergency instructions and numbers posted near them. Evacuation procedures are posted on the back of dormitory doors. An automated external defibrillator is located in Treman, which is at 4290 Route 125, Ripton, VT.

Telephones on the Bread Loaf campus  

Incoming calls will be routed through the front desk—(802) 443-2700—when completed before 11 pm. Emergency calls will be accepted at any time: after 11 pm, these calls are routed to the Middlebury College Public Safety Department on the main campus. 

Middlebury at Mills College, Oakland, CA



  • In serious medical emergencies, call 911 for police and paramedics.
  • To make an emergency call to the Oakland Police from your cell phone, dial (510) 777-3211.
  • Mills College Public Safety—at (510) 430-5555 (x5555 from campus phones)—will also call emergency medical responders to campus. After you’ve called an emergency number, call Public Safety so a dispatcher can direct emergency vehicles to the correct location on campus.
  • You can also go directly to the emergency room. Alameda Hospital is about five miles from campus and Alta Bates Summit Emergency Room is approximately six miles away. People with possible neck or spine injuries should never be moved. Always call an ambulance.
  • Oakland Police Department non-emergency numbers: for landline users—(510) 238-3227; and for cell phone users—(510) 777-3333.  Upon request, public Safety will assist anyone in filing reports with the local police.
  • Use any campus phone to reach the Mills College Public Safety office at x5555. Public Safety will contact the fire department, police, etc., if required. Be certain to let your school director or bilingual assistant know immediately if you have left campus for emergency care, so they can follow up and assist you. Public Safety offices are located in the Chemistry, Physics, and Math Building (CPM) Room 113. The office is open Monday–Friday from 9:30 am–1 pm, and 2:30 pm–5 pm. Public Safety officers are always patrolling the campus and monitoring the front gate.


Accurate and Prompt Reporting


We encourage community members, students, faculty, staff, and guests to report all crimes and public-safety related incidents to the Department of Public Safety in a timely manner. If you require assistance from the Oakland Police Department or the Oakland Fire Department, we will contact the appropriate service. If sexual assault or rape occurs, staff on the scene, including Public Safety, will offer the victim a wide variety of services and options for filing a report. Crimes should be reported to the Department of Public Safety to ensure inclusion in the annual crime statistics and to aid us in providing timely warning notices to the community.

Discretionary Reporting


As a result of the negotiated rulemaking process that followed the signing into law, the 1998 amendments to 20 U.S.C. Section 1092(f), clarification was given to those considered to be campus security authorities. Campus “pastoral counselors” and Campus “professional counselors,” when acting as such, are not considered campus security authorities and are not required to report crimes for inclusion into the annual disclosure of crime statistics. As a matter of policy, they are encouraged; if and when they deem it appropriate they will inform people being counseled of the procedures to report crimes on a voluntary basis for inclusion into the annual crime statistics. Counselors are defined as:


  1. Pastoral Counselor: An employee of an institution, who is associated with a religious order or denomination, and is recognized by that religious order or denomination as someone who provides confidential counseling and who is functioning within the scope of that recognition as a pastoral counselor.


  1. Professional Counselor: An employee of an institution whose official responsibilities include providing psychological counseling to members of the institution’s community and who is functioning within the scope of his or her license or certification.

Emergency Phones, Middlebury College campus


Phones are located in buildings and parking lots around campus.  Large residence halls are equipped with a card-access system and have phones at the main entrances.  Each of these phones have a red emergency button that automatically places a call to Public Safety and a black button that you can use, in conjunction with the keypad, to dial on-campus phone numbers.  Some of the large residence halls also have red emergency phones in their hallways.  When you lift the receiver of a red emergency phone, a call is automatically placed to the DPS telecommunications center.

All buildings, including the small, residential student houses, have campus phones in their main hallways, lounges, and classrooms.  In the event of an emergency from an emergency phone on campus, dial 911 for the police, or 5911 for Public Safety.  The phones can also be used for non-emergency inter-campus calls if you dial the college extension.  Student dorm rooms do not have a phone.  If you’re using a personal cell phone, please program them with Middlebury College emergency phone numbers.  Also familiarize yourself with the phone locations in the residence halls and other buildings.

Several of the larger parking lots also have emergency phones.  These phones are on black pedestals and have on top of them blue globes.  At night these blue lights are illuminated.  These phones have no receiver, but work via a keypad and speaker system.  For emergencies, press the red button and you’ll be connected to Public Safety.  These phones also have a black button that you can use, in conjunction with the keypad, to dial on-campus extensions.


Operating the Phones:

Push the black button for a dial tone and then, using the keypad, dial your number.  You can also contact Public Safety by dialing 5911 or the college switchboard operator by dialing 0.  You can also use these phones to make non-emergency calls.  For instance, if you wish to contact Midd Rides, call RIDE (x7433) for an escort back to a residence hall.  To end the call or stop the dial tone, push the black button once more.

Emergency phones are located in the following parking lots:

  • C Lot (FIC)
  • D Lot (Atwater Halls A and B)
  • E Lot (Johnson)
  • Q Lot (Mahaney Center for the Arts)
  • R Lot (Ridgeline)
  • T Lot (Field House/Kenyon)
  • The Track Lot (at the corner of Porter Field Road and South Street)
  • The Kirk Alumni Parking Lot
  • K lot (Robert A. Jones)
  • S Lot (McCardell Bicentennial Hall)

There are also emergency phones on the walkway near Bicentennial Hall and Freeman International Center, on the walkway between DKE and the Axinn Center, and near Twilight Hall.

Bread Loaf (Ripton, VT Campus)

Two exterior emergency phones are located one the Bread Loaf campus: the first is at the laundry building near the Barn parking lot, and the second is at the intersection of Route 125 and College Cross Road near the Annex building.

Mills College (Oakland, CA)

Blue emergency call boxes are located in Richard’s parking lot (near the front gate), Post Road parking lot (below Reinhardt Hall), CPM parking lot (Seminary side), and at the Seminary Avenue pedestrian gate. Please don’t hesitate to use the call box for emergency assistance: vehicle accident, medical assistance, crime in progress, safety hazard, etc.  You activate the call box by pressing the emergency button on it front, which immediately connects you with the Mills College Department of Public Safety security gatehouse and field officer(s).  The call box automatically provides your location.

Maps designating the locations of the emergency call boxes are posted throughout campus. You may also obtain a copy at our office at CPM 113 or refer to the emergency map (

for a printable version. Emergency call boxes are in place for notifying the Public Safety of emergencies.  It’s a criminal offense to intentionally tamper with, vandalize, or misuse the call boxes.

Call boxes operate 24 hours a day. You may also reach Mills College Public Safety by dialing extension 5555 from any campus phone. Pay phone and cell phone users should call 510.430.5555.

Black phone boxes are located near the entrances of dorms and many classroom buildings, and tan phones are located inside buildings for dialing 911 to reach the police, or x5555 to reach Public Safety. You may also use black and tan building phones for non-emergency intercampus calls by dialing the extension.

Mills College Department of Public Safety encourages you to report suspected crimes and emergencies as promptly and as accurately as possible. If you need to report a crime in progress or other emergency you should dial 510.430.5555 (x5555 from campus phones). Please be prepared to provide the dispatcher with your name, a description of the type of emergency, and the location of the emergency.

Oakland Police emergency -  dial 911 in the bay area or call the Oakland Police Department emergency line at 510.777.3211 This line should only be dialed in an emergency, which would mean you need of immediate police, fire, or medical response.

If you mistakenly dial 911, please do not hang up, since all calls are captured by the 911 system. Stay on the line and talk to the 911 dispatcher before you disconnect. In the event of a hang-up, emergency service personnel will attempt to call you back, or if there is no answer, will send someone to the location you called from.

Local Law Enforcement Agencies:

Oakland Police Department 510.777.3333 (Non-emergency)

California State Police 800.TELL.CHP (1.800.835.5247)

Public Safety officers are often the first responders in reports of fire, medical emergencies and criminal activity.  A computerized alarm processing system sends to the telecommunications center the fire-alarm and intrusion-alarm signals.  Public Safety officers will be in direct contact with Oakland police in the event of any emergency.