Sexual Assault Procedures


Middlebury College is committed to promoting a campus environment where sexual assault and exploitation are recognized as wholly unacceptable, and where survivors of sexual assault are provided support and avenues of redress as appropriate. Sexual assault is not just a misunderstanding or a bad sexual experience; it is a violation of Middlebury College policy, and as defined by the state of Vermont, it is a crime.   

Middlebury College encourages victims to report sexual assault and sexual misconduct to the police and to the College.  

Middlebury Police 388-3191

Middlebury College Department of Public Safety 443-5911

What to do following a sexual assault

  • Go to a safe place—your own room, a friend’s room, a CRA's apartment, or anywhere you will feel safe.
  • Call someone you trust. No matter how late it is, you should not be alone. Call a close friend, your roommate, your residential life staff or CRA, or the WomenSafe Hotline (1-800-388-4205). WomenSafe offers trained volunteers who can meet with you in person to provide immediate support and information at any time. WomenSafe provides care and support for individuals of all gender identities and sexual orientations.
  • You can also contact a counselor. Counselors are a confidential resources who can help you sort through your immediate needs, provide emotional support, and help you to connect with other emergency resources. All members of the counseling staff have training and experience with individuals in crisis.
    • There is always a counselor on call through Public Safety, (802) 443-5911.You don't need to disclose the nature of your emergency to Public Safety; you just need to provide a phone number at which you can be reached. If you already have a relationship with a member of Middlebury's counseling staff, an effort will be made to connect you with that individual if possible. If that person is not available, or you have not worked with one of Middlebury's counselors before, you will be connected with a counselor from the Counseling Service of Addison County, which partners with the College for after-hours care. You do not need to commit to a long-term therapeutic relationship with a counselor in order to access this kind of confidential support at any time.

Medical Care

  • Please seek immediate medical care. If you may be injured, and/or if you would like to collect possible evidence of an assault, please seek medical care as soon as possible. Even if you do not feel physical pain, you may have internal injuries that cannot be immediately seen or felt. Men who have been sexually assaulted may be more likely to sustain injuries when assaulted by another man, so you are particularly urged to seek care in these instances. We encourage you to get medical attention even if you do not want to have evidence collected. Confidential pregnancy testing, emergency contraception, and/or testing for HIV and other sexually transmitted illnesses for both men and women are services available at Parton Health Center and Porter Medical Center.
  • SANE exam. We encourage you to have a sexual trauma exam (or "Rape Kit") done immediately following an experience of sexual trauma, as certain kinds of evidence collection, including rape drug testing, is time sensitive. A sexual trauma exam is conducted by a SANE, or Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner, who is a professional with special training in working with individuals who may have experienced sexual trauma. She can care for injuries, test for sexually transmitted infections and/or pregnancy, and collect evidence (if requested). You do not have to be certain that you were sexually assaulted to request a SANE exam or any other kind of medical or emotional care.
  • Considering a SANE exam. Even if you are not sure about reporting your experience or pressing charges, it makes sense to preserve the option of reporting later by having evidence collected. Evidence will be held for six months at the Vermont State Forensics Lab while you decide whether to press charges on campus or with local authorities. If you decide later than 24 hours to report the incident, it will generally not be possible to collect sexual assault exam evidence at that time (although some evidence, such as visible bruising, may still be possible to record). SANE exams are free of charge.

    More information can be found in Appendix A of this handbook -  Sexual Misconduct Policy.

  • Arranging to meet with a SANE. If you need to meet with a SANE while Parton Health and Counseling Center is open, please call Parton at 802-443-5135, and the staff will arrange to connect you with the SANE as soon as possible. If you need to meet with a SANE after hours, the SANE is generally on call and may be able to meet you at the Health Center. Call the Counseling Center of Addison County (CSAC) hotline at 802-388-7641 and ask to be connected with the SANE on call. When talking with the CSAC operator, you will need to leave a phone number where you can be reached. It is not necessary to give your name or to discuss the nature of your emergency in detail. If Middlebury's SANE is not available, you will be referred directly to Porter Medical Center's emergency services. It is recommended that you call the emergency room in advance and ask for them to arrange to have a SANE available (802-388-4736). A  SANE may not be immediately available, and if you prefer not to wait, members of the emergency room medical staff can also provide you with care and services. Middlebury's Public Safety staff can transport you to Porter and will not require you to disclose the reason you're seeking care.
  • Before a medical exam,try to preserve the evidence. Resist the urge to cleanse yourself before you seek treatment. It may be difficult to keep from washing yourself, but if you do you may destroy evidence that could be useful should you decide to report the experience. Do not wash, change clothes, eat, drink, smoke, brush your teeth, go to the bathroom, or brush your hair. Bring a change of clothing with you to the exam, since your clothes may be collected as evidence.

Middlebury College Policies

These areas of the Middlebury College Handbook include the policies themselves as well as information about filing policy violation complaints.

Middlebury College Sexual Misconduct Policy
Questions about this policy can be directed to the associate dean for judicial affairs and student life, the human relations officer, and the Commons deans.  See Appendix A or go to http://www.middlebury.edu/about/handbook/student_policies/sexual_miscond...

Middlebury College Anti-Harassment/Discrimination Policy
Questions about this policy can be directed to the College’s human relations officers, which are identified within the policy text.

Middlebury College Community Standards and General Conduct Policies
Questions about these policies can be directed to the Commons deans or the staff of the Office of the Dean of Students.