The Department of Public Safety administers a storage facility for students' personal belongings. This facility is intended for use by Middlebury College undergraduates who will be away from the college for the summer, or for a few terms (not to exceed 18 months). This storage area does not have climate controls and the college is not responsible for any damage caused by cold, heat, humidity, insects, or rodents. When a student withdraws or graduates from the college, all items must be removed from college storage at the time of withdrawal or before leaving campus following commencement.
All items to be stored by a student will be received at one time and will be stored collectively. Upon returning to campus, the student must retrieve all his/her items at one visit during the scheduled storage hours. Check the Public Safety storage web page periodically as updated storage hours will be posted.
Payment and storage registration are required before items are stored in Fletcher Barn.
Students are expected to find appropriate transportation for their storage items to, and from Fletcher Barn.
Public Safety is not able to provide transportation for storage items.
The charge for storage is $10.00 per item per term (summer is considered a term).
Undergraduate students who are attending a Middlebury Language School program or are working for the Language Schools may store some of their belongs between the end of the spring term and the beginning of the Language School session for a storage charge of $4.00 per item. A similar arrangement is available between the end of the Language Schools session and the beginning of the regular fall term.
Storage placed in or picked up at Fletcher Barn during closed hours will result in an additional $40.00 fee.
The following items may be stored at Fletcher Barn.*
- Items contained in sturdy cardboard boxes or plastic bins with lids and measuring a maximum of 18"x18"x18". Boxes must be able to fit on the shelf.
- Trunks (i.e., foot lockers)
- Refrigerators (defrosted, empty and measuring 18x18x18 maximum)
The following items may not be stored:
- Hazardous Materials
- Food or other Perishables
- Rugs or carpets
- Bicycles - Contact the student run Bike Shop
*Note: This storage area is not climate controlled. The College is not responsible for any damage caused by cold, heat, humidity, insects, or rodents.
Students who wish to retrieve items from the Fletcher Storage facility must do the following:
- Retrieve items on the date indicated at the time of storage.
- Retrieve items during scheduled storage hours or contact Public Safety to determine an appropriate date/time to retrieve them (note: there may be additional fees for opening storage outside of posted hours)
- Provide transportation of items from Fletcher Storage. Public Safety cannot provide transportation for storage items.
- Retrieve ALL items from storage. Retrieval of partial storage or opening of boxes/containers to obtain some contents is not allowed.
Items may not be:
- Stored for longer than 18 months.
- Left unaccounted for after the pickup date - Additional charges may apply and items will be sent to the Recycling Center for proper disposal.
- Selectively retrieved - All items must be removed from storage at one time.
Bicycle Storage: For more information on Bicycle Storage, Contact the Student Run Bike Shop.