Public Safety has the following items that can be signed out for Student, Faculty, or Staff use. Each Item can be signed out by one individual for an hour (you will be required to leave your ID card or driver's license until the item has returned)
- Jumper Pack*
- Jumper Cables*
- Snow Shovel
*Public Safety cannot use a Cruiser to Jumpstart your car due to potential damage to Cruiser Radios and other Specialized electrical equipment.
Bike Lock Removal
Public Safety Officers can remove bike locks upon request, unless it is a kryptonite lock. Proof of ownership for unregistered bicycles will be required.
Lost & Found
Stolen Items: If you believe one of your possessions was stolen, please contact the Department of Public Safety to file a report.
Locating lost items:
At this time, there is no one single location for all Lost & Found items but the below information, may aide in recovering your lost item.
If you have accidentally left an item behind in a specific room or area, your best bet for locating it is to first check the area thoroughly. If your item was lost in a dining hall or cash op (i.e. the Grille or Wilson Cafe, etc...), ask the staff in that area as each dining hall may have their own collection. If the item was lost in an academic space, please ask one of the staff or faculty members with an office in that building if there is a designated location for lost & found. Many buildings designate a coordinator or receptionist to hold items.
There are several known Lost & Found locations on campus including:
- Library Circulation Desks (Main [x2000] & Armstrong [x5449] Libraries)
- Kenyon Front Desk at the Athletics Complex (5250)
- Box office at the Mahaney CFA
- Starr Axinn Center - Office of Renee Brown (Rm 243)
- McCardell Bicentennial Hall - Office of Kathy Ekstrom (Rm 330)
- Twilight Hall - Office of Trish Dougherty (Rm 202)
- Individual Commons Offices
- Atwater (x3310)
- Brainerd (x3320)
- Cook (x3330)
- Ross (x3340)
- Wonnacott (x3350)
- The Department of Public Safety - Items such as clothing, books, & water bottles are located in the outer lobby next to the Vending Machine. Valuables such as jewelry, cameras, ipods, Cell phones, Wallets, Keys, & Identification are secured within the Public Safety office. Please ask at the counter for assistance.
- Facilities (x5472 - Custodial Services and Buildings & Grounds) may also be a good resource for locating lost items; especially those lost within dorms.
You may also fill out a lost & found form located in the Forms section of the Public Safety Website. This may aide in returning your lost item.
Tips for Increasing Recovery
At Public Safety, items for which owners can be identified will likely receive an e-mail stating to come to Public Safety. To increase the chance that a lost item is returned, please consider some of the following tips:
- For Cell phones: Make sure that "Mom", "Dad", and/or "Home" are programmed in the address book, as this will allow us to contact a parent or other relative to determine the rightful owner. Also, Bring your Cell phone Charger with you if you stop at public safety. Often times, cell phones are turned in with a very low or dead battery. Please bring your Cell charger with you as powering upa phone is often necessary to verify ownership.
- For iPods: Have your name engraved on the back and make sure that your contact information is stored in the iPod's owner information.
- For Flash Drives (or other external hard drives): Save a File called "owner information.txt" or "Owner info.doc" with some basic information.
Lastly, Check in from time to time with the Public Safety Office as it may take a few days (or even weeks) for other departments to deliver lost & found items to DPS. Often times they will hang onto items for a while as they are the closest location to where the item was originally lost.