Medical Care Abroad

Travel and study in a foreign country can be very strenuous. It is important that you take action immediately when an illness or injury occurs.  In the event of an illness, use your common sense about whether or not to seek outside help. Degrees of helpfulness vary as greatly from institution to institution as they do from individual to individual. You should speak with one of the School Abroad staff members in all cases of serious illness and before agreeing to hospitalization.

Although medical care is readily available, the standard treatment for many types of illness often includes hospitalization for approximately one week. If the condition is such that it can be controlled with proper medication brought from home, it may be possible to avoid such hospitalization.

Students should be aware that doctors abroad may not have the same guidelines regarding doctor/patient confidentiality as they do in the US.

If any medical problems occur, please contact the director of your School Abroad. The office in Vermont does not have a list of doctors abroad. An updated list of doctors, counselors, and private clinics is available at the School Abroad office in your host country or on the GeoBlue International Health Insurance website: There you will find information on medical services whose staff includes bilingual doctors. From this website, students may also download the GeoBlue® mobile app to find local doctors or determine a medication’s availability in-country.

The treatment of students by any medical service suggested by our staff abroad does not imply responsibility on Middlebury’s part for how treatment is rendered.


Dental Care

Eye Care

Health Links