Applications are accepted between February 15 and March 19. The application deadline is March 19 by midnight EST.
You can apply to the Workshop Series by submitting an application online.
- Application deadline is March 19.
- There is a $20 application fee.
- Notification letters are sent by email in mid-April
We use Submittable, the online application program. Applicants who already have a Submittable account will be asked to login. Others will be prompted to set up a free account.
For financial assistance with the application fee, please contact Bread Loaf staff at Bread Loaf Writers’ Conferences.
The series offers four workshops in poetry, three workshops in fiction, and six workshops in creative nonfiction.
Along with the online application, workshop applicants submit a writing sample in the genre in which they are applying (the writing sample can be work that is published or unpublished). See the Manuscript Guidelines for important details.
Thanks to the generous support of Middlebury and to an endowment fund established by past Bread Loafers and other donors, financial aid is available.
To apply for financial aid: A financial aid section is included near the bottom of the Workshop Series online application. Applicants interested in applying for financial aid should submit a statement of up to 800 words to be considered along with the strength and quality of the application itself. Those applying for financial aid are asked to describe how their participation in the conference will add diversity to the community of voices, and also addressing their financial need. Though the merit of the application carries the most weight, the applicant’s financial aid statement is also considered.
Acceptance and Notification
- Acceptance is based on the strength and promise of the writing sample and on the Admissions Board’s judgment that the applicant will benefit from the conference.
- Applicants submit a ranked list of workshop leader choices within the application and those accepted are then assigned to a workshop based on our commitment to try give all attendees one of their top choices.
- Notification letters will be sent in mid-April. All participants must pay in full before participating in the first workshop. No refund of fees will be made for participants who are unable to finish the workshop series.
- Application Fee: $20
- Comprehensive Workshop Series Fee: $750