Applications are accepted between February 15 and April 12. The application deadline is April 12 by midnight EST.
You can apply to the Workshop Series by submitting an application online.
- Application deadline is April 12.
- There is a $20 application fee.
- Notification letters are sent by email in early June.
We use Submittable, the online application program. Applicants who already have a Submittable account will be asked to login. Others will be prompted to set up a free account.
For financial assistance with the application fee, please contact Bread Loaf staff at Bread Loaf Writers’ Conferences.
Each week offers a selection of workshops in fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. Workshops in The Hybrid Poem (Paisley Rekdal, first week) and Writing for the Screen (Dean Bakopoulos, second week) are also offered.
Along with the online application, workshop applicants submit a writing sample in the genre in which they are applying (the writing sample can be work that is published or unpublished). See the Manuscript Guidelines for important details.
Thanks to the generous support of Middlebury and to an endowment fund established by past Bread Loafers and other donors, financial aid is available.
To apply for financial aid: A financial aid section is included near the bottom of the Workshop Series online application. Applicants interested in applying for financial aid should submit a statement of up to 800 words to be considered along with the strength and quality of the application itself. Those applying for financial aid are asked to describe how their participation in the conference will add diversity to the community of voices, and also addressing their financial need. Though the merit of the application carries the most weight, the applicant’s financial aid statement is also considered.
Acceptance and Notification
- Acceptance is based on the strength and promise of the writing sample and on the Admissions Board’s judgment that the applicant will benefit from the conference.
- Applicants submit a ranked list of workshop leader choices within the application and those accepted are then assigned to a workshop based on our commitment to try give all attendees one of their top choices.
- Notification letters will be sent in early June. Writers who choose to apply for both weeks will receive a separate notification letter for each week.
- All participants must pay in full before participating in the first workshop. No refund of fees will be made for participants who must leave the workshop series early.
- Application Fee: $20
Workshop Series Week One comprehensive fee: $850.
Workshop Series Week Two comprehensive fee: $850.