Can I get my favorite personal book re-bound?
Preservation & Processing (P&P) is happy to send the personally owned books of Middlebury College students, faculty, or staff to our commercial binder. For your information, please review the following points.
- All the items we send to the commercial binder, including personal items, fall within the parameters of a bulk service agreement. The quantity and simplicity of our work allows us to keep costs low. We will therefore accept only personal binding work that can be processed in the same manner as all the other materials we send. This means, for instance, that titles may be shortened to allow them to fit on a spine. If you have specific requirements that do not fit within our service contract with the bindery, you will need to make your own arrangements directly with them. P&P will provide you with contact information.
- All volumes are bound "as is". It is your responsibility to check to make sure your book is complete.
- The timeframe of your work depends on our college workload. We follow a first come, first served policy, but personal binding jobs will be processed as time allows after the completion of our routine college work. Please call for an estimated schedule.
- We process hundreds of items each week. Because of the quantity of the materials involved, it is possible that your items could accidentally be processed as library materials. While we are careful to keep personal items separate, and no personal items have ever been mistakenly marked, it must be noted that such a mistake is possible.
- The cost of binding individual items will vary according to the complexity of the work. A $5.00 per item handling fee will be added to the binding cost. Please call for an estimate.
- Payment may be made by a personal check written to Middlebury College, or by a department account number. (We need both the INDEX and ACCOUNT.) We will only accept items from graduating students if binding and shipping expenses are prepaid.
For more information or to arrange for binding services, please contact Virginia Faust, Binding and Conservation Technician, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at ext. 2391.