COVID-19 Updates: Fall Semester
I earned VEST, what is it?

In a rare situation a student might earn VEST if they average 18 or more work hours a week and work for the full year.

VEST, Vermont Earned Sick Time, allows eligible employees to accrue a bank of hours that may be used as paid time off for certain health or safety needs and/or for the care of a qualifying family member.

VEST Information Sheet

Who Can Work?

Due to Covid-19 and safety measures in place there are limited hobs available for students in Fall 2020.  Applicantion has been limited to Federal Workstudy and College Job recipients.  This limitations applies to rehiring as well.

International students (non-resident aliens) may work only on campus.  

Do I need a social security number to work and how do I apply for one?

A social security number is not required in order to apply for position; however, a social security number is required to work in the United States.  Instructions on applying for a social security card and social security number can be found on the Tax Office's website at

What are the required forms for employment?

All students are required to complete the federally mandated I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form via electronic inviatation and a W-4 federal tax withholding form on oracle during the employment onboarding process. These forms must be completed before the student is eligible to work. Some International students will complete an 8233 form through the Tax Office's online program.

Click here to see a complete list of acceptable documents (mandated by the Department of Homeland Security) necessary to complete the I-9 form.

How do I find a job?

It is the student's responsibility to secure a job. All available on and off campus jobs are posted online. See 'Find A Job' to the left of this page to see what is currently available. The website will be updated throughout the academic year.


The week before fall classes begin and during the first two weeks of school, students that were awarded Federal Work Study or College Job as part of their financial aid package will have the opportunity to apply for posted jobs on campus. All other students must wait to begin applying until after the third week. Students may apply to off campus positions at any time. Hiring practices vary (interviews, applications, etc.), and are at the discretion of the supervisor.

All students are eligible for on campus jobs.  International students (non-resident aliens) may work only on campus.  Off-campus work study positions are available only to U.S. citizens on financial aid with a work study component.

Where can I get help with my resume?

At the Center for Careers and Internships. Schedule an appointment with a CCI advisor or utilize their daily PCA Quick Question hours.

Can I apply for more than one job?

Yes.  Apply for jobs that interest you and for which you are qualified.  Make sure you are fully aware of what will be required of you including duties and schedules.  You should not accept a job and then quit because you get a “better offer.”

I've been awarded a College Job/Federal Work Study as part of my financial aid - what does this mean?

Students that have been awarded a College Job or Federal Work Study are able to apply to avaiable positions posted via PeopleAdmin.


For more information visit the Student Financial Services website at:

I have work study and am arriving in February. Is there any special consideration given at that time of the year?

No, not at this time.  Fall hirng practices apply to the full academic year.

I have work study. Am I guaranteed a job?

No.  We do not guarantee employment to anyone.

I don’t have financial aid. Does this mean I can’t apply for jobs.

Yes.  Only students that were awarded Federal Work Study or College Job as part of their financial aid package can apply for employment during Fall 2020.

When and Where Can International Students Work?

Most International Students are eligible to work on campus during the academic year as well as during vacation periods.

Visa restrictions prohibit internatial students from exceeding 20 hours of work per academic calendar weeks.

To work off campus, international students (non-resident aliens) must request permission from the Department of Homeland Security. If you are interested in obtaining off campus work permission, please contact International Student & Scholar Services at x5858.

International students must also be aware of limits set by treaty exemptions. Some countries will penalize student who go over the maximum amount earned.

For more information related to work restrictions please visit the ISSS website.

I've been hired! Now what?

You must complete the federally mandated I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form and W-4 Tax withholding form at the Student Employment Office. Once these forms have been completed you will receive a blue employment card indicating that you are eligible to work on campus. You CANNOT work without a blue card. Your supervisor will submit an Electronic Personnel Action Form ("EPAF") in BannerWeb which notifies us of the position you've been hired into so that we can grant you access to time sheets.

See Working on Campus for the College's policy on the number of hours that students are limited to working each week.

I received an email from HireRight; is this legitimate?

Yes. Middlebury has contracted with an outside vendor, HireRight, to conduct background checks for individuals who have been offered a position that is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check (your supervisor will tell you if this is applicable). New employees also complete the electronic I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification form, through HireRight.

How many hours may students work?

All student employees are limited to working no more than 20 hours per week in on campus jobs during the academic year (this includes exam periods).  The only exception is when there is a full week when school is not in session.  Specifically: February recess, Spring recess, and full weeks of December recess.  During these time periods only, students can work up to 40 hours per week. We recommend starting with just a few hours per week until a balance is found between employment and academic demands.

International Students

Visa restrictions prohibit internatial students from exceeding 20 hours of work per academic calendar weeks.

For more information related to work restrictions please visit the ISSS website.

Securing a part-time job on campus affords the student the opportunity to acquire and enhance certain workplace skills, knowledge, and abilities that are transferable and can be the foundation for building a resume. In addition to these benefits, students who work 10 to 20 hours per week have the highest rate of academic achievement. U.S. News and World Report, April 2006

How are students paid?

Students are only eligible to work and be paid if they have completed the federally mandated employment paperwork at SEO and received their blue card (see Employment Eligibility for more information). Supervisors notify SEO when they hire a student by completing an Electronic Personnel Action Form ("EPAF") in BannerWeb. Once SEO has received and processed this form the student will be granted access to time sheets. Most positions on campus use the BannerWeb Time Entry method to report hours. See Getting Paid for instructions on how to access and submit time sheets in BannerWeb.

The College payroll is on a bi-weekly pay cycle. You must submit your hours by 5pm on the Monday following the end of the pay period (or earlier if requested by your supervisor) so that your supervisor can approve your hours by their deadline. Do not submit your hours until the entire two-week pay period is complete. If you are unsure of the pay period parameters, check the Pay Calendar (see Getting Paid). If you have completed your employment forms, an EPAF has been submitted and you still cannot access timesheets, contact the Student Employment Office for help.

Please keep in mind that it typically takes 2-3 business days to process EPAF's. This process may take longer at the beginning of the academic year due to the high volume of students that are (re)hired.

When and how are paychecks received?

Paychecks are issued on a bi-weekly basis. Students will receive their paychecks in their campus mailboxes on the Friday afternoon of pay weeks. For a schedule of pay dates, please see the Payroll Calendar on this site.

Students may also choose to have their pay checks directly deposited into any one U.S. bank account. Click here for instructions on setting up direct deposit.

Where can checks be cashed?

Students may cash checks at most of the banks downtown by showing their college ID, or students with National Bank of Middlebury accounts may deposit them at the ATM in McCullough.

Students may also choose to have their pay checks directly deposited into any U.S. bank account. Click here for instructions on setting up direct deposit.

Am I eligible for the College’s retirement plan?

Student employees who are receiving compensation from the College that is not exempt from FICA taxation are eligible to join the College's 403(b) retirement plan. See the Universal Availibility Notice for additional information.

What is a W-2 Wage and Tax Statement?

A W-2 is a form that employers prepare for their employees that show the wages paid and taxes withheld during the year.

Do Student Employees Receive W-2 Statements?

Yes. W-2 statements are mailed at the end of January each year by the Payroll Office. Students have the opportunity to sign up to receive this statement electronically. If they do not sign up to receive the statement electronically it will be mailed to them. For Non U.S. Citizens their W-2 will be mailed to their campus mail box. W-2 statements for U.S. Citizens will be mailed to their home address. Additionally, students can view and print off their statement by logging into their BannerWeb account and selecting the 'Employee' tab. From there select 'Tax Forms'.

Each student is responsible for following local, state and federal tax guidelines as per their own particular circumstances. The Student Employment Office does not offer tax assistance.

What is the Sexual Harassment Policy?

Please refer to the Middlebury College "Anti-Harassment/Discrimination Policy" located in the College handbook. 

What is the Student Absentee Policy?

Students are responsible for speaking with their supervisors about any absence prior to missing their scheduled shift. If a shift is inadvertently missed without prior notice, students should contact their supervisors immediately. Provided the supervisor/department has made clear its absentee policy, missing shifts can be grounds for termination of employment.

Please review the Progressive Discipline section of the Student Employee handbook.


What is Termination of Employment?

A student may leave any position without consequence, provided that two weeks notice is given.


There are several situations that can result in involuntary termination.

Please review the Progressive Discipline section of the Student Employee handbook.


Can a student position be removed from Oracle?

Yes. If a student is no longer working in a particular job, please contact Student Employment so that we can update the student's employment record. All hours must have been paid out to the student employee before the position can be terminated.


How do I reset my password for the job postings site?

Email requesting that your PeopleAdmin password be reset. You should receive an email with a new password within approximately 24 business hours.

Whom Should I Contact With Questions?

Any questions or concerns that you may have concerning student employment issues should initially be addressed to the Student Employment Office. This office consists of trained student staff, as well as a staff Student Employment Coordinator. Feel free to stop by between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, email or call x5377. We should be able to help you or, at the very least, refer you to someone else who can!

How do I get a job reference for work after I graduate?

In order for any supervisor that you had as a student employee at the College to release information on you regarding your employment you will need to complete the Information Release and Waiver Agreement.

Once complete, submit to the Student Employment Office to be kept it on file. It's also recommended that your supervisor retain a copy. Without completion of this form no one from the College will be able to release any information on your work except the title(s) that you held and your dates of employment.