COVID-19: Essential Information

Registration FAQ

How can I take a Pass/Fail course?

Students who are enrolled in four or more courses in a given semester may elect to take one course under Pass/D/Fail option.  Students taking a course under the Pass/D/Fail option who receive a grade of C- or higher will have a Pass (P) grade recorded in their transcripts; students who receive a grade of D or F will have that respective grade recorded on their transcripts.  The deadline for declaring your intention to take a course under the Pass/D/Fail option is posted on the Registrar's website (go/registrar).

Along with this option, the faculty also voted to limit the number of non-standard grades to five.  Non-standard grades include AP, IB, and other pre-college testing credits; winter term internships; winter term pass/fail courses; and courses taken under the Pass/D/Fail option.  For students who entered prior to fall 2012, the five non-standard grade maximum will only apply if they decide to take a course under the Pass/D/Fail option.

Courses taken under the Pass/D/Fail option may not be used to satisfy distribution, College Writing, FYSE, or culture and civilization requirements.  Additionally, these may not be used to satisfy major or minor requirements (with one exception: a first course taken Pass/D/Fail in a department or program in which a student subsequently declares his/her major or minor may, with the approval of the department or program chair, be counted toward major or minor requirements.)

 Students may request the Pass/D/Fail option by submitting a request form, available in the Registrar's Office, Forest Hall.

 For complete information about the Pass/D/Fail option, please see part C of the Course Registration and Conduct of Courses section of the Handbook:


Additional information about the Pass/D/Fail option may be found at:



Who needs an Alternate Pin?
  • Only students with less than 21 credits earned by the end of current term and who are on campus will be assigned Alternate Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) for registration in BannerWeb. Also students who have 21 or more credits earned through the current term and have not declared a major have also been assigned an Alternate PIN. Students obtain their Alternate PIN from their academic adviser.
  • Students who have been assigned an Alternate PIN can ONLY access the registration web link by entering this additional 4-digit number obtained from their adviser when prompted after entering BannerWeb with the usual signon.
  • The purpose of obtaining the Alternate PIN from the adviser is to encourage faculty and students to meet and talk.
  • Students who have earned 21 or more credits by the end of the current term, including all students currently studying abroad or taking a semester off, will not be assigned Alternate PINs, but they are strongly encouraged to meet or discuss courses with their adviser.
Who can take a fifth course?

Sophomores and juniors may register for a fifth course during the fall or spring semester only with specific approval of their advisers and the dean of their commons during the drop/add period using the special orange add card. Normally, this permission is granted to students who have maintained an average of B or better in the two preceding semesters. First-year and other new students are not allowed to register for more than four courses. Exceptions are only granted in cases where the fifth course is a performing arts course for credit. Seniors may register for five courses during the add period without their dean's or adviser's approval, using the orange fifth course add card. The comprehensive fee remains unchanged for a three-, four-, and five-course program. Students may not take more than five courses per semester.

How many minors can a student have?

G. Minors

Students may elect to complete only one minor if they are undertaking a major that is joint or interdisciplinary. Students may declare up to two minors if they are undertaking a departmental major. A student declaring two majors may not declare any minors.

Normally, all students choosing to declare a minor will do so officially by the end of the Add period of the 7th semester of study

Minors will consist of four to six courses, at least one of which must be at an advanced level.

Departments and programs may designate configurations of courses that will constitute a minor (or minors) for that department, program, or major.

Students may not self-design a minor.

Faculty may design interdepartmental minors in those areas of the curriculum in which a major is not offered.

Minors will be listed on students' transcripts.

A course may count toward a student's major or minor, but not toward both. A course counted toward one minor may not be counted toward an additional minor.

When is the Drop/Add Period?

After BannerWeb registration has ended, students must add courses using green add cards signed by the instructor of the course and the student's adviser, if needed. The deadline for turning in add cards to the Registrar is the end of the second week of classes, or the third day of Winter term.

Students can drop a course via Banner Web any time during the registration process up to the end of the Add period. After the add period has ended, students can still drop a course using a yellow drop card, signed by the instructor and adviser up to the end of the fifth week of classes.

See  the Registrar's Office  sidebar (go/registrar) for specific dates.