Learning Goals for the Major
The Department of English and American Literatures expects all senior majors to have mastered the following skills and information:
- To read literature (poetry, prose, and drama) closely and critically.
- To write critical essays with clarity, strong evidence, and intellectual integrity.
- To be familiar with the major movements and authors of the British, American, and Anglophone traditions.
- To be familiar with the major schools and theories of literary criticism.
- To conduct scholarly research in print and electronic formats; to know how to use and cite sources responsibly.