Whom to Talk to:

Who is responsible for signing forms and for approving courses for my EUS major?

EUS does not have "one-stop-shopping" for forms and for course approval.  Therefore, you need to coordinate with several people to ensure that you have successfully completed all requirements for the major.  If you have any questions about whom to contact, start with the Director of European Studies.  In general, however, the following people are responsible for the following tasks:
The Director of European Studies answers general questions about the EUS major, signs major declaration forms, approves courses that count for the regional requirements, and can help you fill out your advising check sheet and your degree audit sheet for graduation.  The Director also approves—in coordination with your thesis advisor—senior thesis proposals.
The chair of your language department sets policy on which courses are needed to study abroad and on which language requirements fulfill the major upon your return from study abroad.
The Chair of the department that is your disciplinary specialization sets policy on courses that count toward your disciplinary credits, and decides whether you have fulfilled the disciplinary requirements for graduation.
The Director of International and Global Studies sets general policy for all IS tracks (ie, EUS and the others) and approves core courses and oversees senior seminars.
The Study Abroad office decides whether you have enough credits and the necessary GPA to study abroad and provides information on programs available.

I've just come back from abroad, and I need to transfer credits to count toward the EUS major—with whom do I make an appointment to do this?

If you need approval for a course to count as a political science, history, economics, film, etc. course, you need to see the chair of the corresponding department. If you need approval for a course to count as a regional course with European content, see the Director of European Studies. If you need approval for a course to count for the regional social science or history requirement, see the Director of European Studies.

Whom should I choose to be my advisor?

Any faculty member can be your EUS advisor.  However, it is helpful to choose one that is in your discipline of choice, and ideally one that has an interest in Europe.

Study Abroad:

Will I be able to complete the EUS requirements if I study abroad?

The EUS major requires study abroad, preferably for a year.  Therefore, courses taken in Europe are usually granted credit toward the major requirements. 
You should plan on taking as many introductory level courses at Middlebury as you can before you go abroad (including the core requirements), but you can certainly fulfill some of your regional requirements, and often some of your disciplinary requirements while abroad.  To verify which disciplinary requirements can be fulfilled abroad, check with the Chair of the disciplinary department in question.

Whom do I speak with about study abroad?

Start with the Office of Off Campus Study for all general questions about study abroad, such as where programs exist, etc.  Be sure to speak with your advisor and/or with the Director of European Studies before going abroad to discuss which classes you should try to take while abroad to complete the major for graduation.

Getting Credit for Courses:

Does this course (taken at Middlebury or abroad) count toward the regional requirements?

If you take a course at Middlebury, only courses listed on the Degree Requirements web page will fulfill the regional requirements.  Only history department courses can be counted as courses that fulfill the regional history requirement (ie, courses in art history, music history, etc. do not fulfill this requirement). 
If you take a course abroad, it must have a clear and predominant European focus (ie, a course on the history of Spain, Goethe, or the politics of the European Union clearly counts; a course on Franco-African relations, international trade, or Mediterranean literature almost certainly does not count—unless you can demonstrate that the vast majority of the course focused on European issues). 
If you wish a course taken in Europe to fulfill the regional history or regional social science requirement, it must have a clear and predominant focus in one of those fields.  Be prepared to provide evidence that the course was a history or social science course.  If in doubt, contact the EUS Director prior to taking the course.

Does this course I took abroad count toward my disciplinary requirements?

Yes, in many cases.  To be sure you can count any particular course, check with the chair of your disciplinary department.

Can I double (or triple) count courses?

Yes. Subject to restrictions stated on the Degree Requirements web page, courses can be double counted between language departments and regional specialization, between regional specialization and disciplinary specialization, between disciplinary specialization and senior requirements, and between regional specialization and senior requirements.
Courses may be triple counted under certain circumstances. If your disciplinary specialization is in a literature and culture, you may triple count courses between language requirements, regional specialization, and disciplinary requirements; and also between disciplinary requirements, senior language course, and senior disciplinary requirement. Although unusual and almost never necessary, it is theoretically possible to quadruple count a course as a regional course, a disciplinary course, a senior language requirement, and a senior disciplinary requirement. Again, this is true only if your focus is a European literature and culture.
For non-literature and culture students, courses may be triple counted between regional requirements, disciplinary specialization and senior requirements if you are taking a senior seminar in your discipline that is European in focus.
The core course (IS 101) may never be double or triple counted.

Do Winter Term courses count toward the EUS major?

Yes, for language courses.
No, for regional courses, unless the Director of European Studies grants a waiver.
Maybe, for disciplinary courses.  Check with the chair of the disciplinary department.

Do Summer School courses count toward the EUS major?

Yes, for language courses, provided the chair of the language department approves them.
No, for regional courses, unless the Director of European Studies grants a waiver.
No, for disciplinary courses, unless specifically approved by the chair of the disciplinary department.

Do AP credits count toward the EUS major?

Normally AP credits cannot count toward the EUS major.  Exceptions may be made if the Director of European Studies (in consultation with the chair of the relevant department) grants a waiver.

Senior Year and Graduating:

How do I find out more about senior theses?
How is my European Studies GPA calculated?

The Director of European Studies calculates your GPA by examining all courses on your Middlebury College transcript that could fulfill a European Studies requirement—even if they are supplementary to the courses you actually require for the major.  In other words, your GPA takes into account all European language courses, all courses with European content, all courses the student takes in the discipline, and all IGST core courses and senior requirements.

How do I know if I'm on track to complete the courses required for graduation?

Start by filling out the EUS advising check sheet.  Verify that you have filled everything out correctly with the Director of European Studies.  You may also need to get approval from other authorities.  See Who is responsible for signing forms and for approving courses for my EUS major?

Program in International and Global Studies

Robert A. Jones '59 House
148 Hillcrest Road
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05753