Incompletes, Withdrawals, and Academic Probation


Students are expected to complete all required course work by the last day of class (or, in the case of students who have received permission to leave early, before they leave campus for the summer). Students who have not turned in all required work by that deadline must request approval for an Incomplete or will receive an F in the course. Faculty who anticipate that a student will be unable to finish the course work by the end of the session should consult with the director (in person or by e-mail) and must have approval from the director before assigning an INC on the grading roster.

Students may request approval for an incomplete in cases when a family, medical, or personal emergency prohibits the completion of the course work. In order to be approved for an incomplete, before leaving campus they must:

  • receive preliminary approval from the Bread Loaf director or associate director
  • consult with their professors to determine what, and by what date (usually within 30 days of the end of the session), work needs to be completed
  • submit a Request for Incomplete Grade form to the Bread Loaf office for final approval by the director; the form details what work needs to be done, and both the student and the faculty member must sign this form.

Students will submit finished course work to the main Bread Loaf office, and the office will forward the work to the faculty for evaluation. In cases where the work is not submitted by the established deadline, the INC will be changed to an F. Faculty will need to complete a Failure Grade Report for any student receiving an F; the Bread Loaf office will make sure the form gets to and from affected faculty.

Course Withdrawals

Students may request to withdraw from a course, for academic, medical, emergency, or other reasons, at any point. Dropping and adding a course during the drop/add period does not constitute “withdrawal”: withdrawal applies only when students are withdrawing from a course without taking another in its place.

  • To withdraw from a course, students must notify the Bread Loaf director or on-site director (in person if possible).
  • If the student withdraws from a course by the end of the drop/add period (see Drop/Add), no courses or grades will appear on the student’s transcript.
  • If the student withdraws from a course after the drop/add period, courses will be listed on the transcript and assigned a grade of either WD pass or WD fail, depending on the status of his or her work at the time of the withdrawal.
  • If a student withdraws from a course for medical reasons or family emergencies, the Bread Loaf director will determine whether courses or WD grades will be listed on the transcript.

Middlebury reserves the right to require that a student withdraw from the program. Full procedures are outlined in the Bread Loaf Student Handbook (see Emergency Withdrawal, Suspension, or Dismissal).

Academic Probation

Students who have earned one B- or lower in a Bread Loaf course will automatically be placed on academic probation. During the probationary period, all course and campus choices will need to be preapproved by the director. Ordinarily, students on probation will not be enrolled at the Oxford campus and will not be eligible to pursue an IRP or take a course overload. The director will review the student’s progress at the end of the probationary summer and determine whether the student’s work has improved sufficiently to warrant ending the probationary period. Students found to have plagiarized will be placed on permanent probation (see Plagiarism).