Applicants who are continuing to gain proficiency in their language should apply to the 7-week or 8-week summer language immersion program, regardless of their status as students or graduates of other degree programs. The 7-week and 8-week programs enroll a diverse mix of undergraduates, graduate students, recent graduates, and professionals. Although undergraduate-level credit is awarded for these programs, it is by no means restricted to students who are still studying for their bachelor's degree in college. We strongly recommend that students complete at least one year of college prior to attending the Middlebury Language Schools.
The Language Schools select students for admission who show the potential and desire to succeed in a rigorous academic environment. Having previously attended the Language Schools, Middlebury College, the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey (MIIS) or the Middlebury-Monterey Language Academy does not guarantee admission.
You may enroll in courses at one Language School only, and typically only at one level of study. You are, however, welcome to apply to more than one School: to do so, you must submit a complete application to each School (including a separate application fee).
Admission is for one summer only and cannot be deferred to a future year.
International Students >>
International students will go through the same general application process outlined on this page (above). Following admission, the ISSS office will support your needs relating to a U.S. student visa.
Deadline: Admissions are rolling. Scholarships, fellowships, and some financial aid programs do have a deadline by which applications must be complete. Please refer to the Language Schools Financial Aid page for details.
Current Middlebury College students: Please refer to these specific instructions.
You will want to gather your recommender's name and email address before beginning.
1. Fill out the online application (link below).
2. Pay $75 Nonrefundable Application Fee. You may pay by credit card at the time of application. If you need to send a check/money order, use this address:
Middlebury Language Schools
14 Old Chapel Road
Middlebury, VT 05753
*Make checks out to Middlebury College. On the memo line, please write in your name and the Language School to which you applied so we can match your fee with your application.
3. We require an official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended, whether or not you studied a foreign language there. If you are a first-semester college student, please submit an official transcript from your high school, as well as first-semester college grades when available. The official transcript must be sent by the registrar, either sealed in an envelope, or emailed in a secure format.
Spanish 7-week: firstname.lastname@example.org
Language Schools - (specify your Language School here)
14 Old Chapel Road
Middlebury, VT 05753
4. Submit one letter of recommendation through the online application. Once you enter the name of your recommender on the application, an email will be generated and sent to the recommender along with a link to fill out the recommendation form. Your recommender will be receiving an email from Language Schools - Admissions (email@example.com) and should check the spam/junk folder if s/he does not receive the email.
The following recommenders are all acceptable, listed here in order of preference:
- language instructor with whom you have studied the target language (from the past two years)
- recent instructor with whom you have studied other languages or disciplines
- work supervisor from professional or volunteer work, or colleague
Letters contained in official college placement files are acceptable, provided that they are no more than two years old.
Some programs have additional requirements:
Apply Now >>
The application for the 2017 Language Schools will be available in the fall of 2016.