Middlebury College offers generous financial aid and fellowships and scholarships for our graduate students.

In order to apply, you must first submit a complete Middlebury Language Schools application. After you have submitted your application, you will receive an email with a link to all funding opportunities.

Need-Based Financial Aid

Depending on the graduate degree program, Middlebury Language Schools may meet up to 100 percent of your demonstrated need. For example, during Summer 2019, the cost for tuition, room and board was $9,375 and 86 percent of our graduate student received need-based financial aid. The average grant for graduate students was approximately $7,968. Consult Student Financial Services for additional information.

Below are examples of the financial aid awards (tuition, room, and board) available to our graduate students:

  • MA in four summers: Up to 100 percent ($42,000)
  • MA with a summer in Vermont, followed by an academic year abroad: Up to 47 percent ($29,000)
  • MA with a summer in Vermont, followed by an academic year abroad, and a final summer in Vermont: Up to 54 percent ($39,000)

Note: There is limited financial aid for non-degree graduate students and students in a track with an academic year component. Aid awards are offered on a first come, first served basis. If you need financial aid to attend, you are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Funding for our MA in four summers option, and our French and Spanish options with a summer in Paris/Buenos Aires does not run out.

Fellowship and Scholarships

Middlebury offers a number of merit-based fellowships and scholarships for the Languages Schools. To be considered, you must be accepted by one of the Language Schools and meet all additional application requirements. However, you may submit your scholarship application before you receive an admission decision. Application deadlines are typically December 15 or February 1, depending on the scholarship. Contact lsfellowships@middlebury.edu for additional information.

The following are available:

Federal Student Loans

Graduate and DML degree seeking students, who are U.S. citizens and permanent residents may also apply for Federal Unsubsidized Direct or Grad PLUS loans.

Outside Funding

Graduate students can apply to outside funding opportunities.