Immersion and Graduate students can apply to outside funding opportunities (including but not limited to the options below).
The Boren Fellowship funds study abroad by U.S. graduate students in exchange for one year of federal government employment or service. Boren Fellows going abroad in the fall on a non-Middlebury program may be eligible to use part of their award toward summer study at the Middlebury Language Schools – at any level of study.
Applicants to a Middlebury MA program with an abroad option may consider applying for a Boren Fellowship to fund their academic year abroad (as well as summer study prior to departure). Visit the website for preferred countries and languages.
Assistant Director, Kathryn W. Davis School of Russian
Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS)
The Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowship may be used to fund a summer at the Language Schools. Eligible students should apply for FLAS directly to an institution that has received an allocation of FLAS fellowships from the U.S. Department of Education. Although Middlebury is not a FLAS-granting institution, many universities award the FLAS to current as well as incoming students.
A fellowship consists of $5,000 (tuition) and $2,500 (living expenses). If you have been offered a FLAS (total of $7,500), you are eligible to receive supplementary financial aid from Middlebury covering the remaining cost of tuition, room, and board – at any Language School. To qualify for supplementary financial aid, you must be accepted to the Language Schools, your program must meet FLAS requirements, and you must email your FLAS award letter to your Language School Assistant Director.
Once the official award letter has been received and forwarded to the Assistant Director, FLAS Fellows should use the instructions below to receive funding and make payments on their student account. Middlebury supplemental aid will be added to the student account after fees for the summer programs have been assessed.
- 3rd Party Payer Notification Form - Fill out this form to let the Student Financial Services (SFS) office know that you are a FLAS Fellow and provide the details about the granting institution and how invoicing will be handled.
- Billing - Once fees are applied to student accounts in mid-April:
- If the FLAS granting institution does not require a 3rd party payer invoice, log into your Nelnet account using the Student Sign On and your Middlebury username / password to access your billing information and submit your invoice to the institution directly.
- If the FLAS granting institution requires a 3rd party invoice from Middlebury College, the information you provided on the form will be utilized by the SFS office to invoice the institution.
- Payment - Payment Instructions will be provided upon invoicing to those requiring a 3rd party invoice.
- Institutions that will be paying Middlebury directly can send payment by check (Middlebury College, SFS-Cashier, 84 S. Service Rd, Middlebury, VT 05753) or via ACH/Wire transfer (Contact the SFS office at email@example.com to obtain the banking information needed to process a payment.)
- Students can make payment on their student account in Nelnet or using the Payment Options on the SFS website.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the billing and payment process.