Immersion and Graduate students can apply to outside funding opportunities (including but not limited to the options below).

Boren Fellowship

The Boren Fellowship funds study abroad by U.S. graduate students in exchange for one year of federal government employment or service. Boren Fellows going abroad in the fall on a non-Middlebury program may be eligible to use part of their award toward summer study at the Middlebury Language Schools – at any level of study.

Applicants to a Middlebury MA program with an abroad option may consider applying for a Boren Fellowship to fund their academic year abroad (as well as summer study prior to departure). Visit the website for preferred countries and languages.


Oliver Carling
Assistant Director, Kathryn W. Davis School of Russian
(802) 443-2006

Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS)

The Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowship may be used to fund a summer at the Language Schools. Eligible students should apply for FLAS directly to an institution that has received an allocation of FLAS fellowships from the U.S. Department of Education. Although Middlebury is not a FLAS-granting institution, many universities award the FLAS to current as well as incoming students.

A fellowship consists of $5,000 (tuition) and $2,500 (living expenses). If you have been offered a FLAS (total of $7,500), you are eligible to receive supplementary financial aid from Middlebury covering the remaining cost of tuition, room, and board – at any Language School. To qualify for supplementary financial aid, you must be accepted to the Language Schools, your program must meet FLAS requirements, and you must email your FLAS award letter to your Language School Assistant Director for further details.

FLAS Fellow Student Account Payment Options

1. Institution does not require a third-party payer invoice.

Student receives the funding from their institution. Student makes payment online with student account in Nelnet Campus Commerce after billing begins in mid-April. Students can forward their invoice email to their institution or print their invoice from their Nelnet account.

2. Institution requires a third-party payer invoice.

Student must email with a request for a third-party payer invoice. Student must identify as a FLAS fellow and provide their student ID, amount of the invoice, along with information for the third party payer including contact name, institution, mailing address, and phone number.

Institution check payments must be made payable to Middlebury College and include the student name and ID in the check memo. Checks should be mailed to:

Middlebury College
Student Financial Services Cashier
84 South Service Road
Middlebury VT 05753

For student accounts with remaining balances, student payments can be made with checking and savings accounts transfers and credit card payments on the student’s account in Nelnet Campus Commerce. Students make payments by clicking on “Make a Payment” after logging into their Nelnet account. Students have the option of enrolling in a summer monthly payment plan with Nelnet.


Students have the option to apply for federal loans (graduate students only) and private loans.