Middlebury provides several options for paying your bill and accepts many methods of payment. Refer to Billing Information for due dates and details.
Paying Your Bill
There are four ways to pay your bill:
Payment in Full
Middlebury College bills students each semester for tuition, fees, and room and board. Payment (for any amount due after financial aid and loans are deducted) is expected by the billing due date, unless the student is already enrolled, in advance of the billing due date, by submitting payment as listed below.
Monthly Payment Plans
These plans, offered through Nelnet Campus Commerce, provide flexibility to pay the bill by setting up a monthly payment plan. The payment plans are available each semester. There is a $20 enrollment fee per plan and payments are interest-free. More detailed information including how to enroll and deadline dates, can be found in Monthly Payment Plans.
Loans provide a way to pay your bill by financing your college education. There are loan options available for students and parents. Because they have to be paid back, we encourage you to exhaust all other options first and only borrow what you need. More detailed information on the different types of loans can be found in Loans.
Middlebury Multiple-Year Prepayment Plan
This plan, offered to parents and guardians of enrolled Middlebury College students who are not financial aid recipients, allows you to lock in future tuition and room and board costs at the current-year rate. More detailed information, including deadline dates and required forms, can be found in Middlebury Multiple-Year Prepayment Plan.
For your convenience, Middlebury offers the following ways to submit your payment:
Offered through Nelnet Campus Commerce, Middlebury’s billing and payment service. Once logged into their account at Nelnet, students and their authorized parties can view the bill and make payments safely and securely using:
- Electronic Check: Complete an electronic bank transfer to make payment. There is no fee for this payment.
- Credit and Debit Card: Nelnet adds a 2.75 percent service fee to all credit and debit card transactions. The service fee is nonrefundable.
- Wire Transfer: International wire transfer payments can be made in your Nelnet account through Western Union. If you would like to make a domestic funds wire transfer payment, please email the Office of Student Financial Services at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Monthly Payment Plan: Monthly payment plans, which allow you to spread the cost of the semester over multiple payments, are available through Nelnet. There is a $20 per semester enrollment fee. Please refer to the Monthly Payment Plans section for more details on this option.
Payment by Mail
Checks and money orders can be made payable to Middlebury College and mailed to the address below. Include the student’s name and ID number on the check or money order.
Student Financial Services Cashier
84 South Service Road*
Middlebury, VT 05753
*For FedEx deliveries only: Use 14 Old Chapel Road for the street address.
529 Plan Payment
Funds from 529 plans must be sent directly to Middlebury and not paid via the electronic options offered in Nelnet Campus Commerce. Contact your 529 plan to arrange for payment to be sent directly to the College at the address above. Please ensure the student’s name and ID number are included with the payment.
Payment from Third-Party Payers
Organizations, employers, sponsors, or other parties making a payment on behalf of a student can submit the payment to the College at the address above.
Please ensure the student’s name and ID number are included with the payment. Direct any forms that are required to be completed by the College to the Office of Student Financial Services at email@example.com or the address above.
Middlebury requires students receiving funds from a source outside of Middlebury College to report the amount and source in writing to the Office of Student Financial Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. These funds may impact the student’s financial aid offer, including scholarships from the College, as noted in Outside Scholarships and Benefits.
Student Financial Services accepts checks and cash payments in our office during our regular business hours. Please plan to submit payment with the student name and student ID number.
Accessing Nelnet Campus Commerce
Nelnet Campus Commerce is included in Middlebury’s Single Sign On service using multi-factor authentication. Students must have an active Middlebury account and, using their Middlebury username and password, log in through the Student link below. Authorized parties, once added by the student, access Nelnet Campus Commerce using the Authorized Parties link below or at www.nbspayments.com and logging in with their Nelnet username and password.
For direct access to Nelnet Campus Commerce, select the appropriate link below:
Students and their authorized parties receive email notifications when their electronic bill is ready to view at Nelnet Campus Commerce - Middlebury’s billing and payment service. Visit Billing Information for bill due dates and details. Bills are not mailed; students and authorized parties receive bills only by email.
Note that Spring 2023 charges and financial aid will not be posted to the student’s account until mid-November and, at that time, students and authorized parties will receive their billing notification email.
New students will not gain access to Nelnet Campus Commerce until early June - early November for Febs - and must first activate their Middlebury account (and establish a username and password) before they are able to log into Nelnet.
Helpful Tip: New students are encouraged to set up parents or guardians as authorized parties (if needed) during their initial login, so they can create their own account and have access to view the bill, make payments, and enroll in payment plans. Here’s how:
- Complete your Student Profile at Nelnet Campus Commerce by using the link provided above or from the billing notification email.
- On the blue navigation bar at the top of the screen, the student clicks My Profile.
- Click Add in the Manage Payers section.
- Complete the parent/payer information required under Add Authorized Party, including their email address, and click Save.
- The Authorized Party then receives an email from Nelnet Campus Commerce inviting them to set up their own Authorized Party account.