Middlebury’s School of Hebrew combines the best of two worlds—a time-tested curriculum and an immersion learning environment.Apply Now Inquire Now
Live in Language
During the Hebrew language classes, you’ll rapidly build proficiency with the help of our dedicated faculty and benefit from our rigorous approach to daily classroom instruction in the four major skills: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Outside the classroom, you’ll participate in organized in-language cocurricular activities—including soccer, theater, academic reading and lectures—each designed to help you build new vocabulary and learn the Hebrew language, while developing cultural fluency.
Throughout your summer at the Hebrew Language School, you’ll find the focus is exactly where you need it to be—on working towards true linguistic and cultural fluency.
Thanks to the support of generous donors (including Language Schools alumni) and Middlebury’s commitment to providing an opportunity for as many students as possible, we are pleased to offer need-based financial aid and merit-based fellowships and scholarships. You’ll find several options available for both the immersion and graduate programs, as well as funding for specific languages of study.
Spend a summer at the School of Hebrew and you’ll experience the single most effective method for rapid language acquisition: a total immersion environment with the Language Pledge®—a promise to read, write, listen, and speak only in your language of study. Programs are open to undergraduates, recent graduates, graduate students at other institutions, and professionals of all ages.
Hebrew Program Options
Choose a program based on your language proficiency and learning goals.
- 7-week on-campus immersion program for beginner to advanced students who want to improve language proficiency as rapidly as possible in-person.
- 6-week immersion program (online) for beginner to advanced students who want to improve language proficiency as rapidly as possible online.
- 3-week Lifelong Learner program for those who want to immerse themselves in our intensive language environment for three weeks instead of seven.
- 4-week Classical Hebrew program for students who want to learn from experts in Classical Hebrew while advancing their Modern Hebrew.
- The graduate program is for students seeking a degree or graduate-level courses in certain content areas. It can be completed in just over two years.