Live the Russian language and culture—from interpreting poetry and learning the balalaika to discussing post-Soviet politics and mastering etiquette—at the Kathryn Wasserman Davis School of Russian.Apply Now Inquire Now
Spend a summer at the School of Russian and you’ll experience the single most effective method for rapid language acquisition: a total immersion environment with the Language Pledge®—a promise to read, write, speak, and listen only in your language of study.
Recognized as one of the world’s best Russian language programs, the Kathryn Wasserman Davis School of Russian has been offering its unique blend of cultural and language immersion since 1945. Each program is open to undergraduates, recent graduates, graduate students at other institutions, professionals, and lifelong learners.
Russian Program Options
Choose a program based on your Russian language proficiency and goals of study.
- 8-week immersion program for beginner to advanced students who primarily want to improve language proficiency as rapidly as possible.
- Several graduate program options for students seeking a degree or graduate-level courses in certain content areas.
- Refresher Course for School of Russian alumni or other students with a solid foundation in Russian who have been away from the language for a while, from a few years to a few decades.
- Advanced Online Course for students who wish to take a “deep dive” into an advanced topic and explore the subtleties of usage by educated native speakers of Russian.
- STARTALK is for current and prospective teachers of Russian and is funded by a federal grant program.
Live in Language
During the Russian language classes, our dedicated faculty will guide you in discovering a language that is alive and ever-changing, helping you gain both the confidence and tools necessary to take your skills to the next level.
Outside the classroom, you’ll choose from cocurricular activities that explore the range of historical and contemporary Russian culture, each activity designed to help you build new vocabulary while developing cultural fluency.
Thanks to the support of generous donors (including Language Schools alumni) and Middlebury’s commitment to provide an opportunity for as many students as possible, we are pleased to offer need-based financial aid and merit-based fellowships and scholarships.
You’ll find several options available for both the immersion and graduate programs, as well as funding for specific languages of study.