Engaging your mind with topics of interest—from history and the arts to current events and cooking—is the best way to tap into the motivation you need to succeed.Apply Now Inquire Now
Spend a summer at the School of Spanish and you’ll experience the single most effective method for rapid language acquisition: a total immersion environment with the Language Pledge®—a promise to read, write, listen, and speak only in your language of study. Each program is open to undergraduates, recent graduates, graduate students at other institutions, and professionals.
Spanish Program Options
Choose a program based on your Spanish language proficiency and goals of study.
- 7-week immersion program for beginner to advanced students who primarily want to improve language proficiency as rapidly as possible.
- Several graduate programs for students seeking a degree or graduate-level courses in certain content areas.
Live in Language
This powerful combination of classroom study and activities has made the School of Spanish one of the world’s premier language programs. Whether you’re pursuing an advanced degree, getting ready for travel abroad, preparing to teach in the classroom, or advancing your business career, the total immersion environment will help you achieve your language goals.
The School of Spanish is a summer home for some of the foremost teachers, scholars, and artists in the Spanish-speaking world. You’ll learn from our dedicated faculty during four hours of daily classroom instruction.
Then you’ll join them in cocurricular activities designed to help you build new vocabulary while developing cultural fluency—from dancing salsa and cooking paella to competing on the soccer field and hosting your own radio show all in language. For graduate students, our programs provide rigorous graduate instruction in key content areas.
Thanks to the support of generous donors (including Language Schools alumni) and Middlebury’s commitment to provide an opportunity for as many students as possible, we are pleased to offer need-based financial aid and merit-based fellowships and scholarships.
You’ll find several options available for both the immersion and graduate programs, as well as funding for specific languages of study.
Frequently Asked Questions
Depending on your language proficiency and your goals, you can choose between two very different program options: our Spanish immersion program and several MA programs.
Our Spanish immersion program provides a 7-week long immersive language learning experience. You will be living on-campus and will be required to take the Language Pledge: a commitment to only speak Spanish for the duration of the program. Apart from language classes, you will also participate in many co-curricular activities that will enhance your language learning experience.
To learn more about our MA options, visit our Spanish Graduate Programs page.
Students of all levels can enroll in Middlebury’s summer immersion programs. It’s important to note that students need to be 18 years old and high school graduates to apply.
You will be asked to take a language placement test prior to the beginning of the program that will determine which level you get placed into. For your application, you should estimate your level simply to give us an idea of where you think you are likely to place. Please note, that for the graduate program you do take a proficiency test during the application process.
The time it takes to become fluent in Spanish can vary greatly depending on factors such as your starting level of proficiency, the amount of time you dedicate to studying and practicing, and the type of learning methods you use.
At Middlebury, we believe a language immersion program is the best way to improve your language proficiency quickly, while also learning about the target language’s culture, which we believe is an integral aspect of the language learning process.
A Spanish language immersion program can be a highly effective way to rapidly improve your language skills. Here are a few tips to make the most of the experience:
- Immerse yourself in the language and culture: This is the key to a successful immersion program. Speak Spanish as much as possible.
- Practice, practice, practice: Take advantage of all the opportunities to practice the language, whether it is in class, during organized activities, or in conversation with other students and native speakers during meals in the dining hall.
- Be open-minded: Be open to new ways of thinking and new ways of expressing yourself. Try to understand and appreciate the cultural differences that you encounter.
- Participate in cultural activities: Take advantage of any cultural activities offered by the program. They will give you a deeper understanding of the culture and its people, and will also provide opportunities to practice the language in a cultural context.
- Don’t be afraid to make mistakes: Remember that making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process. Don’t be afraid to speak up, even if you are not sure you are saying something correctly.
Q Are there any cultural activities offered as part of the Spanish programs at Middlebury Language Schools?
Apart from 4 hours of classroom instruction, you will participate in a wide range of co-curricular activities that will give you the chance to practice what you’ve learned in the field and will help you develop cultural fluency.
Our annual baile de disfraces (costume party), our theater performances and our cooking classes are just a few of the activities available to students.