Application Instructions for Graduate Programs
Review the application checklist and deadlines so you’ll know what to expect before you apply. Dates and fees differ by language, so see your language and Graduate Program for details. Returning graduate students should review additional instructions.
Once you log on to the online application:
- New applicants select Sign up (upper right-hand corner). Type First Name, Last Name, Email. Select Submit
- Email will be sent with link to Start your application here
- Create Password and click Start a New Application
- Under Middlebury Language Schools-Language Pledge® select Start Application
- Select Graduate Level - New Applicants (MA or DML) or, if you are a returning graduate student, select Graduate Level - Returning Students (MA or DML)
- Select your program/language and Summer 2023. Select Start Application
Answers should be written in English.
- Your formal and informal experience with the language, including travel, study, or residence abroad
- How you learned about Middlebury’s programs
- Your reasons for wanting to study the language you have chosen
- Your career goals
- Any additional information that you consider relevant to your application
$75 Application Fee
Pay the nonrefundable fee by credit card online at the time of application.
Please provide official transcript(s), either emailed from your registrar or sealed in an envelope, from each post-secondary institution attended, whether or not you studied a foreign language there.
International transcripts submitted by applicants applying to the MA or DML degree programs must be accompanied by an original translated course-by-course evaluation report, performed by a certified educational credential evaluation service.
Official transcripts can be submitted by email or mail. We prefer to have your official transcript emailed from your registrar.
Language Schools (specify your school)
14 Old Chapel Road
Middlebury, VT 05753
Three Recommendation Letters
Once you enter the name and email address of your recommender on the application, an email will be generated and sent to the recommender with a link to fill out the recommendation form. Your recommender will be receiving an email from Language Schools Admissions and should check the spam folder if s/he does not receive the email.
The following recommenders are listed in order of preference:
- Language instructors with whom you have studied the target language (from the past two years)
- Recent instructors with whom you have studied other languages or disciplines
- Work supervisors or colleagues from professional or volunteer work
Each graduate program of the Language Schools has different language assessments to determine if you are at the graduate level. Please review your language below to ensure that you have submitted all of the required documents.
Once admitted to the Middlebury Language Schools, you must submit a $400 non-refundable deposit. If you require funding from Middlebury in order to attend, you may wait for a financial aid or fellowship decision before submitting the deposit. If you are able to attend whether or not you receive funding from Middlebury, please submit your deposit as soon as possible to secure your place.
Admitted students will receive access to the Accepted Student Website which includes information such as paying your tuition, what to bring, and housing.
*Levels and courses offered will be based on meeting course enrollments. Enrollment is capped to ensure high quality instruction. Please apply early to secure a spot. Should it become necessary to cancel a course/program or cap the enrollment, we will notify students and refund the deposit.