Review the application checklist and deadlines so you’ll know what to expect before you apply. Dates and fees differ by language, so see your language for details. Returning graduate students should review additional instructions.
Once you log on to the online application:
- Select Middlebury Language Schools-Language Pledge®.
- Select Start Application.
- Select Graduate Level-New Applicant (MA and DML) or, if you are a returning graduate student, select Graduate Level-Returning Students (returning MA and DML)
- Select your language and Summer 2020.
Answers should be at least 200 words and written in English.
- Your formal and informal experience with the language, including travel, study, or residence abroad
- How you learned about Middlebury's programs
- Your reasons for wanting to study the language you have chosen
- Your career goals
- Any additional information that you consider relevant to your application
$75 Application Fee
Pay the nonrefundable fee by credit card online at the time of application.
Please provide official transcript(s), either sealed in an envelope or emailed from your registrar, from each post-secondary institution attended, whether or not you studied a foreign language there. All transcripts must be in English, with translations prepared by a certified credentialing service.
International transcripts submitted by applicants applying to the MA or DML degree programs must be accompanied by an original translated course-by-course evaluation report, performed by a certified educational credential evaluation service. Official transcripts can be submitted by email or mail:
Language Schools (specify your school)
14 Old Chapel Road
Middlebury, VT 05753
Three Recommendation Letters
Once you enter the name and email address of your recommender on the application, an email will be generated and sent to the recommender with a link to fill out the recommendation form. Your recommender will be receiving an email from Language Schools Admissions and should check the spam folder if s/he does not receive the email.
The following recommenders are listed in order of preference:
- Language instructors with whom you have studied the target language (from the past two years)
- Recent instructors with whom you have studied other languages or disciplines
- Work supervisors or colleagues from professional or volunteer work
Each graduate program of the Language Schools has different language assessments to determine if you are at the graduate level. Please review your language below to ensure that you have submitted all of the required documents.