Review the application checklist and deadlines so you’ll know what to expect before you apply. Dates and fees differ by language, so see your language and Immersion Program for details. Previous attendees and Middlebury undergraduate students should review additional instructions.
Once you log on to the online application:
- New applicants select Sign up (upper right-hand corner). Type First Name, Last Name, Email. Select Submit
- Email will be sent with link to Start your application here
- Create Password and click Start a New Application
- Under Middlebury Language Schools-Language Pledge® select Start Application
- Select Summer Language Immersion: Beginner Thru Advanced Levels
- Select your program/language and Summer 2024. Select Start Application
$75 Application Fee
Pay the nonrefundable fee by credit card online at the time of application.
Please provide official transcripts, either emailed from your registrar or sealed in an envelope. We require an official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended, whether or not you studied a foreign language. If you are a first-term college student, submit an official transcript from your high school as well as a registration report of the courses that you are taking now. Transcripts are not required for Classical Hebrew, Hebrew for Lifelong Learners, or the English Language School.
Email or mail your transcripts to your specific language school. We prefer to have your official transcript emailed from your registrar.
Language Schools (specify your school)
14 Old Chapel Road
Middlebury, VT 05753
Submit a recommendation through the online application. Once you enter your recommender’s name and email, they will receive an email from Language Schools Admissions containing a link to the form. Remind your recommenders to check their spam folders, and follow up with your recommender if you find your recommendation marked as “in progress.”
Letters contained in official college placement files are acceptable, provided that they are no more than two years old. The following recommenders are listed in order of preference:
- Language instructor with whom you have studied the target language (from the past two years)
- Recent instructor with whom you have studied other languages or disciplines
- Work supervisor or colleague from professional or volunteer work
Answers should be written in English.
- What is your formal and informal experience with the language, including study, work, travel or residence abroad? (Please write at least 200 words. Your answer may be shorter based on your background in the language.)
- Please share your reasons for wanting to study the language you have chosen. (Please write at least 200 words.)
Most language levels are identified by a number that roughly corresponds to the level of study per year of college-level instruction, with some exceptions by language.
You should estimate your level on your application simply to give us an idea of where you think you are likely to place. You can review the information concerning levels in the curriculum information for your language of interest and this may help you determine the level most appropriate for you. If you are a complete beginner with no knowledge of the language, you should choose “level 1” on your application.
If you test into a higher or lower level based on our placement process, we will make adjustments during the first week of your session.
Once admitted to the Middlebury Language Schools, you must submit a $400 non-refundable deposit. If you require funding from Middlebury in order to attend, you may wait for a financial aid or fellowship decision before submitting the deposit. If you are able to attend whether or not you receive funding from Middlebury, please submit your deposit as soon as possible to secure your place.
*Levels and courses offered will be based on meeting course enrollments. Enrollment is capped to ensure high quality instruction. Please apply early to secure a spot. Should it become necessary to cancel a course/program or cap the enrollment, we will notify students and refund the deposit.